Sign in to follow this  
gingerterry

I only think Jim's 'fixed it for me', finally!

​After many, many, many, months of crashes since 3.3, I finally believe its fixed.

​I always fly photo-scenery and always thought this to be the problem, and it may still be!, but I was still getting crashes on a vanilla installations with default aircraft. About 30 seconds in after wheels up, it would crash.

​The event log showed just about every fault known to man, and when I searched the forums for a fix for that one, another would appear.

Well I found Jim YOUNGS post yesterday about moving the DLL, exe and CFG files and restarting the sim. I dare say I've seen it before and thought that it looked too difficult to do and a bit beyond my capability. Well I bit yet another bullet and did what Jim suggested.

This was when the miracle happened! I am now about 3 hours in to a photo- scenery flight across France in JF Tornado with med settings and no crashes.

The only other thing I have been doing, and I will look into this further, was copying a saved scenery config that has all my photo scenery in, into the scenery CFG every time I re-installed, just to save time rather than add them one at a time.

Believe me, if I had to do that every time I have re-installed P3D to try to rid it of a fault, it would be a full time job as I have about 1.5 TB of the stuff.

This time I have been adding them separately, a couple at a time and then trying them out, Still no crashes.

My question is, what do I do with the DLL, EXE and CFG files that I moved to a temp location. The CFG and DLL and EXE files have as Jim suggested, re-written themselves into what I believe are their respective folders. Can I just delete these and leave the sim as it is or do I need to do anything else with them?.

Regards, a very happy simmer,

• Upvote 1

My PC is a modest ASAU Z97 pro gamer MB with a i5 4690k chip, a MSI gtx 970 4gb card with 14 gb RAM made up of one 8gb and 3 x 2gb

My question is, what do I do with the DLL, EXE and CFG files that I moved to a temp location. The CFG and DLL and EXE files have as Jim suggested, re-written themselves into what I believe are their respective folders. Can I just delete these and leave the sim as it is or do I need to do anything else with them?.

Glad one of my suggestions worked.  The fsx.cfg is rebuilt so you can delete that one in your temp folder.  The dll.xml and exe.xml are not default files and you can try to move them back into the same folder as where the fsx.cfg is located and see if this fixed your problem.  It might have just been the fsx.cfg that got corrupted and was causing all of your problems.  If you start getting crashes again, then suspect the dll.xml as it loads modules to make some commercial products work.  For instance, it loads the Addon tab in the FSX.cfg.  It loads the Addon Manager that is used by FS DreamTeam airports.  It loads the fsuipc.dll if you have that installed.  The AVSIM CTD Guide provides guidance on how to disable any of the modules in the dll.xml so you can see which one is causing the crashes (if indeed, the sim crashes if the dll.xml is loaded.

Most fixes for FSX are accomplished by moving or deleting the fsx.cfg and letting it rebuild.  Some programs, like FSDT addon manager adds tweaks to your config if you are not careful.  These tweaks can be harmful to your computer.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

As they have re-written themselves and everything seems to be running ok, I will just keep them to one side at the moment and see what happens. its still going strong after 7 hrs or so. regards

Jim is a wealth of information - much welcomed  :wink:

Thanks Rich.  We all try hard to help.

its still going strong after 7 hrs or so

Glad it is still going strong.  Let's go for 8 hrs.  That will be my record for fixes!  LOL!  No, seriously, hope the problem goes away forever.  Crashes and freezes are no fun in the enjoyment of this hobby!

Best regards,

• Upvote 1

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

If it turns out to be the dll.xml you can add in one item at a time until you find the fault item. Any easy way to do this is to copy back the file you moved and turn off the section of the dll that it would normally load and then keep turning on one at a time until you find the problem.

As an example change the red False below to True.  Hope this helps you figure it out.

<Launch.Addon>
<Name>PMDG Interface</Name>
<Disabled>False</Disabled>
<Path>PMDG\DLLs\PMDG_Interface.dll</Path>
<DllStartName>module_init</DllStartName>
<DllStopName>module_deinit</DllStopName>
</Launch.Addon>

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Thanks Mark.  I told him our CTD Guide provides the instructions for disabling.  Don't think he wants to do that right now as his sim has been running over 7 hours now.

• Upvote 1

Submit News to AVSIM

I had to goto bed last night and so had to turn it off, it was up to 11 hrs when I finally shut her down. well chuffed.

If it turns out to be the dll.xml you can add in one item at a time until you find the fault item.

I concur... yeah, instead of removing all the entries in your exe and dll  xmls,  Its a good start to begin with a clean exe and dll.. and then start adding one entry at a time...from the old xmls until you hit the error again..to identify the specific xml or dll entry.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

ust thought i would let you know its still going strong no matter what i throw at it. I have not had a crash since removing the DLL and XML. just let them rebuild themselves and everything A OK. Thanks Jim.