Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

EVGA 980 Ti Classified - constant rattle!

This is a well known issue with the ACX 2.0 cooler. The fins tend to be lose and rattle at certain RPM.

In my case though, the card is constantly exhibiting a load rattle at ALL RPM.

I'm waiting for a reply from EVGA with a view to RMA.

Having said that, some with this issue have successful stabilised the fins. Just checking if any forum members have had this issue and found a DIY solution.

This is a well known issue with the ACX 2.0 cooler. The fins tend to be lose and rattle at certain RPM.

In my case though, the card is constantly exhibiting a load rattle at ALL RPM.

I'm waiting for a reply from EVGA with a view to RMA.

Having said that, some with this issue have successful stabilised the fins. Just checking if any forum members have had this issue and found a DIY solution.

I have a EVGA 980TI Hybrid so don't have this issue, but I did have an issue with my card water clock that required a RMA. The process was the simplest and fastest RMA I have ever had to deal with. So if you cant get DIY fix don't fear the RMA! 

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W 

I have a EVGA 980TI Hybrid so don't have this issue, but I did have an issue with my card water clock that required a RMA. The process was the simplest and fastest RMA I have ever had to deal with. So if you cant get DIY fix don't fear the RMA! 

Oh great, thanks Jordan.  :smile:

I was fearful of a lengthy RMA taking weeks.

Do you remember how long your RMA took?

Oh great, thanks Jordan.  :smile:

I was fearful of a lengthy RMA taking weeks.

Do you remember how long your RMA took?

I did the cross ship option where EVGA charges you the collateral amount to your credit card, ship you a replacement unit, and then you ship the defective unit back in that packaging. If you do not ship the bad unit back with 45 days you forfeit your collateral. Once the defective unit is inspected the full collateral is refunded to your card. You do need to pay for shipping back to EVGA so I opted for ground since it was the cheapest by a long shot from from NJ back to California where EVGA's warehouses are. The entire process from submission to getting my collateral back took about 3 weeks (with the bank taking a full 5 business days to reflect the refund after EVGA processed and closed the RMA). However I received the replacement unit in about 4 business days with standard shipping,. You could ask them about expedited shipping but I am not sure if that is available. The entire process was painless. I was able to speak with a rep on the phone in less than 3 minutes to clarify a few questions I had. Going forward I am going to continue EVGA products because the experience was so easy. The last thing you need when a product under warranty is broken is an RMA process that has you running in circles and out of commission for weeks. 

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W 

So far EVGA support, nothing special. No issues, RMA process going through, but quite slow.

EVGA support likes to leave a full day between each email, so any two way conversation is painfully slow.

They answer me a day later, I respond immediately. They respond a day later and ask a question, I respond immediatley. They respond a day later... The entire conversation could have been had in minutes.

I know they are busy, but as I say, nothing special so far.

Be interesting to see how the rest of the process goes.

So far EVGA support, nothing special. No issues, RMA process going through, but quite slow.

EVGA support likes to leave a full day between each email, so any two way conversation is painfully slow.

They answer me a day later, I respond immediately. They respond a day later and ask a question, I respond immediatley. They respond a day later... The entire conversation could have been had in minutes.

I know they are busy, but as I say, nothing special so far.

Be interesting to see how the rest of the process goes.

Interesting, that is the opposite of my experience. Did you try calling them or just email? 

- Jordan Jafferjee -

Interesting, that is the opposite of my experience. Did you try calling them or just email? 

This was via email.

It went like this...

Sent then an email explaining the issue in detail.

A day later they responded and suggested I send them a sound file. I recorded the sound and sent it within half an hour.

A day later they responded and told me they couldn't open the file. I discovered it was a W10 issue and sent it again from a W7 PC.

A day later they responded and said they would issue an RMA number. They asked me to confirm my products serial number. I did so immediately.

A day later they issued the RMA number and explained that the rest of the process would be automated. Of course, by this time it was Friday so I had to until Monday (yesterday) before the automated process had "approved" my RMA.

Of course, I now have to wait 1-2 business days before the new product is shipped, and then of course for the courier to ship it to me from, I believe, Munich Germany. 

And then of course ship my defective product back to them and wait for a refund.

So all in all, going smoothly but certainly not an expedited process. may be a different system and quicker for you guys in the US.

I would not be surprised if they used a different system outside the US which may explain it. Sorry to go on about how good they were for me and then you're stuck in this situation. Hopefully you'll get the new card soon! 

- Jordan Jafferjee -

Sorry to go on about how good they were for me and then you're stuck in this situation. 

That's okay Jordan, I'm not too annoyed, It's going through, just slow. I received an email yesterday that it's shipped

New card just arrived. Cross your fingers, I have heard of people getting the same rattle with multiple cards.

Edit: All good now, functioning perfectly.

• Upvote 1

Nice! 

- Jordan Jafferjee -