Sign in to follow this  
akmatov

Flying aircraft with WW2 markings?

A few years ago, 7 highly accurate clones of the Me-262 were built; they were blue printed from a total restoration of a real one for a museum.  Could one of them be legally flown with the original markings in the US, with I assume an FAA tail number?  I've seen aircraft with original marking flying at airshows, but thought that might be differently classed than a private aircraft.

Why would you think they not be permitted to fly? If by original markings, you are specifically referring to the swastika and other related symbols, the use of such is not legally banned in the U.S. the way it is in Europe, and might only be restricted if it was being used inappropriately (such as for the purpose of inciting crowds to violence). Obviously that is not typically the case with historically restored aircraft. Of course, as you pointed out, it is true they must have a legally registered tail number painted somewhere, and obviously the aircraft must have a valid certificate of airworthiness, and meet all the requirements thereof.

You said, "I've seen aircraft with original marking flying at airshows, but thought that might be differently classed than a private aircraft." Not quite sure what you are getting at here. Many of these aircraft are privately owned. If you are simply asking, can they be legally flown outside of auspices of an airshow, the answer is absolutely yes. After all, such aircraft must have some way to get to the airshows in question, and are often flown considerable distances cross country to do so. However, these aircraft are typically classified as experimental airframes, which may subject them to certain limitations of use, depending upon the specific aircraft, its capabilities, and equipment. If this is not what you are asking, please clarify.

• Upvote 3

Andrew Jones

Exactly what I was looking for.  Personally would probably clip the swastika so it was an X, otherwise my father, fought in the Battle of the Bulge, would rise from his grave and come kick my &@($*. Thanks for the info.

Hi; it is an + on the side not an x. More up-to-date info has become available on vintage war planes, after the Hawker Hunter T7 crashed at the Shoreham air show last year. Info freely available if using a search engine.

I was on Gannets in the sixties when we moved to RNAS Brawdy. Plenty of Hunters there then and I had the opportunity of flying in the RH seat of the T7s. Long gone are those days:)

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

.... otherwise my father, fought in the Battle of the Bulge, would rise from his grave and come kick my &@($*....

Surely he'd kick your backside for flying an enemy aircraft regardless of its paintscheme?? (God rest him)

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)