Sign in to follow this  
Coach0512

Intel i7-2600K in P3D in 2016?

Hey!

I currently run P3D v3 on a rig with an AMD FX 8350. My frames and/or smoothness aren't great,and I was considering the jump to an i7-2600K. I'm not looking for some crazy 40fps or 60fps, but being able to lock at 20 or 25 would make me more than happy. Listed below are my current specs and the addons I run.

AMD FX 8350

Nvidia GTX 750Ti

ASR 980de3/u3s3

720p Monitor

Prepar3d v3.3

Majestic Q400

PMDG NGX

CS 727

Milviz 737

iFly 747

CS 757

CS 767

PMDG 777

Simcheck A300

Airbus X Extended

Carenado EMB505

ActiveSky Next

ORBX GTX GLOBAL + openLC USA + UTX EU 2

Flytampa sceneries

Aerosoft sceneries

UK2K sceneries

Remember, 25ish fps. Could the 2600K do it?

Right now people are favoring the 6700k for p3d.

I know, but it's also three times more expensive than the 100 i can get the 2600k for

If you can get a used i7-2600K and motherboard for $100 that's a decent incremental upgrade.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Agree with Luke. I wrote out some stuff below that I had typed up before he responded haha so I'll just post anyways.

A good OC'd 2500K/2600K to ~4.3-4.5ghz should get you 20-25+ fps, given you optimize the cfg with tweaks, don't push the sliders too far, etc. You know, just be modest and fair with expectations. I previously had a 2500k @ 4.5 with a GTX670, then a GTX970, they got the job done and could manage the 25-30 fps range. The NGX and Flightbeam airports always performed the best (25-30), but flying the CS767 into payware airports would bring the sim down to 22ish fps.

Given that you're running 720p, the GTX750ti should hold up alright. If it's in the budget one day (after a good CPU upgrade of course), try to get a GTX960/GTX970 or equivalent, it makes a noticeable difference in smoothness and strenuous cloudy situations.

I would think you'd do well with a 2500k/2600k, especially for $100. Another possible option = 4690k, although I see on ebay that they are around $200. Those 2 generations in between make a difference in the IPC and your frame rates. If I had to put my answer into one line, it would be:

2500K < 4690K < 6600K

Jim Schroeder

i9 9900k @ 5.0ghz | Gigabyte GTX1080ti | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3600 

I still have an i5 2500k over clocked to 4.5 with a gtx 970 and get pretty much what you are looking for...20 fps or greater in almost every situation unless AS16 mixes in a certain kind of cloud. Haven't figured out if it's just overcast or specific cloud texture but when it's there, my fps tank. That's the only situation that's not good for me. Otherwise ngx pay ware airports all run fine.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I've got a 2500K at 4GHz - still with heavy weather, scenery and aircraft addons I'll get high teens.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I still have an old i7 920 @ 3.8 ghz which is a generation behind the i7 2600. I also have a 970 GTX. I get 30 fps running at 4k resolution in rural areas and if I use 'light' add-ons (such as some Carenado planes) I get around 20 fps in city areas. With the Aerosoft A320 I get around 15 fps at Geneva Airport but as soon as I take off, this jumps to 25. I have settings turned up quite high as well so I am sure I could get better in big city areas. One thing that does bring my system to its knees is heavy weather. I mostly avoid this in favour of high graphics settings. I even run with trees maxed and shadows on! But with buildings set to normal:)

I keep meaning to upgrade to the 6700K and a nice 1080 GTX card but since installing P3D 3.3.5, I am quite content with the performance and how smooth and good looking it is. At this stage I think I will wait for Kaby Lake before I upgrade next. As I can only reach 3.8ghz these days stable, I am often envious of those with a 2600k who often can reach 4.5ghz. I think though the graphics card you use may have a considerable impact as well though. I can't advise on that combination.

100 bucks for a 2600K? I would get it. As long as you already have a suitable motherboard (make sure that it is with a Z77 chipset). Problem here: sometimes those motherboards with the LGA 1155 socket are hard to get, both second hand and new ones (which might be hardly possible). Just make sure that this 2600K was not to much overclocked so far... Then, of course you should be capable of overclocking this CPU to 4.5GHz yourself, means you also need a decent cooling solution. Do you have one?

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I run locked at 20 FPS going to Heathrow with a 2600K @4.5 GHz. Other places I can get away with 25 FPS. Sometimes I wonder what is bottlenecking me more. The 2600K or my GTX 660. I felt like I just put this system together and it's so out of date already.

I have a 2600k not ocd and A GTX970. I have no issues with my experience. In NYC for example with the NGX I get anywhere from 20-30 FPS with Imagine sim KLGA or FSDT JFK. Now I don't run high Anti aliasing settings, instead I use DSR 4X and 16 AF with 4X MSA so very low setting and great visuals.

The only thing I can say would put my system to its limits is AI traffic but that is not important to me as I fly on Vatsim.

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

I keep meaning to upgrade to the 6700K and a nice 1080 GTX card but since installing P3D 3.3.5, I am quite content with the performance and how smooth and good looking it is.

Just to trease you even more, some maths: each Intel CPU generation provides 5-10% more performance. Surprisingly, in the ESP engines, this is almost directly translated and gives you about 7% more performance. Means:

- five generations newer CPU means 1.07^5 times the performance => 1.40 or 40% more higher performance

- 4.5GHz vs 3.8GHz means 18% more performance

- switching from the old DDR standard to the novel one, ideally 3000MHz DDR4 modules with CL15, another 5-10% more performance

As a summary, I think switching from an i7 920 running at 3.8GHz to an i7 6700K running at 4.5GHz could give you theoretically 65% more performance. Calculated on those FPS you were mentioning you get in your AS A320: 15FPS + 65% => almost 25FPS (!) Furthermore, people switching to an 6700K mostly even report a higher performance gain than that you get by simply doing the maths, so most probably you will get even more than those 25FPS. Especially if you would also replace the rather weak 750Ti of the Topic Starter with a stronger GPU such as the 1060, 1070 or even 1080.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS