Sign in to follow this  
class2ldn

Where to install fsx steam

Hi guys, just building a new computer. I've purchased a 250gb ssd and a 1tb hdd.

Would it be OK to install Windows 10 and fsx on the ssd?

I've seen a few threads about storing the 2 on different ones.

Where's best for all the addons?

I also play stuff like omsi and ets2 but I guess these could be installed on the hdd as they don't take that long to load anyway.

Appreciate your help guys.

Doesn't really matter where you install FSX-SE the working files are stored on the O/S drive which I presume will be the SSD. Make a folder on your 1Tb drive and install FSX-SE onto that and add the Modify permission to the Users group on the install folder. The regular Steam folder is very long and can cause issues for addon scenery and relative paths. You can make the folder on the SSD and install FSX-SE there and if you intend to have massive addon scenery packages you can install them on the 1Tb drive and refer to them in the FSX-SE config files.

Add the Modify permission to the Users group for any folder you make that you intend to install software into.If you intend to install addons from the FSX era then also install the SimConnect msi files found in the SDK folder, 60905, and 61242. The FSX-SE and FSX+A versions are installed with FSX-SE.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Thanks for that, bit confused as to what a lot of that means as I'm not too tech savvy in regards to different folders etc.

You can run Explorer and locate the two drives? Say you only want a simple system and intend to only install a few Steam DLC addons for your FSX-SE. Just allow the installer to do what it suggests and it will all work well. It's got to be run once and you OK'd the EULA before it installs fully. If you intend a big setup with lots of older addons and want it all in one place on the big drive, locate the big drive in Explorer, right click on the root and choose New Folder, name it FS or Games, something simple. Then install FSX-SE and instruct the installer to make its directory in that folder.

OK I get it now, I can install steam on the hdd and then have a separate folder for fsx on the ssd and install it to that in the settings within steam.

Just wondering if 250gb is going to be enough.

It would only be the os and fsx on the ssd.

Contemplating buying another 120gb ssd for the os and have the 250gb dedicated to fsx and the 1tb hdd for the other games like ets2 and omsi etc and certain addons for fsx.

Does this sound viable?

Also it's best to keep fsx out of x86 program files yes?

Just add a separate folder and install it from steam there?

Sounds like you got the idea. Maybe save your money as the two drives are quite good as it is.

Yeah might try fsx and the os on the ssd and see. I've never had a load of add ons but the ones I've had are mainly free downloads of aircraft so can these be installed on the hdd or not because they are suppose to go in the fsx folders so I assume not? I'm assuming any scenery add ons would be better on the ssd?

What about things like ultimate traffic etc. Can these be run from the hdd?

Cheers

You can put planes scenery and any other addons on any other drives you wish. Planes and scenery locations are set up in the config files. Keep things simple if you can.