Sign in to follow this  
Wynthorpe

Laminar at it again with the cryptic videos

Very bland.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I gather it's meant to build up hype and show what XP10 was capable of before dropping the XP11 bombshell, but they really should get someone else to do the videos (Someone like redpiper) ;-)

• Upvote 3

Maybe they should get Thomas Rasmussen on their team. These videos show X-Plane at its most mediocre, and not at its very best.

• Upvote 2

These videos, doesn't make me want to jump aboard X-Plane... 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

The sim isn't even smooth during the videos...

Yeah, that view flying over houses at 0:36 shows pauses in the frame rate due to either low hardware specs or wrong settings. Very embarrassing. X-Plane doesn't do that with the right settings/hardware.

The #1 requirement of a flight sim is smooth animation. It's the reason why many are switching from FSX/P3D and it needs to be highlighted in any promo video. 

• Upvote 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

The #1 requirement of a flight sim is smooth animation.

Yes it is, but many got so used to low framerates in the old sim that even with X-Plane, they're happy as long as they get two-digit framerates. Not a week passes by without a user claiming he's totally fine with 20fps...

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Maybe they want the reveal of all the improvements and fixes that are included in X-Plane 11 to be more dramatic? I don't use X-Plane, but even I am tempted to check out the morning seminar on Saturday October 8.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Maybe they intend to showcase the limitations of X-Plane 10, and then reveal the improvements and fixes that are included in X-Plane 11?

Chris, or maybe you were simply right on that post ( joke ) you did sometime ago... and some here at the forums didn't really understand :-)))))

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

These videos, doesn't make me want to jump aboard X-Plane... 

Yep, they aren't doing themselves any favours. 

Laminar should indeed know better by now after all these many years around.

As pointed out above several times .... this can't be meant seriously.

Because even if all this is supposed to be some kind of fun to create some hype around the forthcoming release of  X-Plane 11 or so, it's better not forgotten, that in this days and age even the shortest PR-video once shared online can become disastrous if it's done wrong, which definitely is the case here ...

Well, we are going to find out soon anyway.

Well, I've been reading across this thread, and although I'm not a big fan of this sort of adverstisement videos, I also can't really see what is so wrong with this one in particular ?

It shows some nice aircraft and weather effects, night lighting and airport and cities rendering... What's wrong with it ?

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Well, I've been reading across this thread, and although I'm not a big fan of this sort of adverstisement videos, I also can't really see what is so wrong with this one in particular ?

It shows some nice aircraft and weather effects, night lighting and airport and cities rendering... What's wrong with it ?

I guess we're all predisposed to notice different things. Sure, the lighting effects are sexy and the city rendering is okay. But for me, as I said above, there is one thing I look at above everything else and that's perfectly smooth, non-stuttering animation.

If there is any break in the frame rate I notice it instantly and it annoys the heck out of me, like those persistent pauses at 0:36 in the video. It's not just visually annoying, it throws off the ability to do a smooth flare when landing, or do a controlled hover in a helicopter. It's the first thing I noticed in one of the early preview videos of DTG's Flight School -- really bad, rhythmic pauses in the frame rate. I think they cleared that up, or at least I don't remember it in more recent user videos.

With X-Plane, there is simply no excuse for animation stutters if you're running a higher-end system with plenty of CPU/GPU grunt and tons of RAM. And you shouldn't be using anything else if you're recording a promotional video. 

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

For me, it's mostly because if I had not been informed it was directly from laminar as some sort of special add campaign buildup, I would have yawned and clicked on something else in about ten seconds.

The biggest takeaway I had from that video is that my machine runs xplane better.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5