Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

Deactivating unused scenery for VAS gain

Does this trick still work with P3D3.3?

If I fly in the US is there value in deactivating all of my installed european scenery (or US scenery outside of my FROM/TO airports) to save VAS or have things moved on ? One of the earlier versions of P3Dv3 was good at offloading unused scenery, but the later versions don't seem to have followed through with that. Just checking how best to avoid crashes - outside of sensible settings.

thanks

I wonder if this trick ever worked at all...?

I wonder if this trick ever worked at all...?

Neither am I but it seemed to be all the rage some time ago. I didn't get any OOM's myself so not sure whether it was attributable to that or not.

I have however, OOM'd twice this week, which is more than I've had in 2 years. Turns out my settings weren't really sensible but I'm considering all options.

I think this was only ever worthwhile doing if you used photoscenery. For some reason in FSX, PS would always take up VAS, no matter where you were flying. So it made sense to disable that if you weren't flying in that area. However, I have used PS in P3D and did not see any increase or decrease in VAS if the PS was enabled or disabled (unless flying over it of course). I am not using PS at the moment so don't know if that is still the case or if it has changed.

Pretty sure that if you are not using PS then you will see no benefit in disabling your other scenery when not flying there.

Stuart Furley

I have used PS in P3D and did not see any increase or decrease in VAS if the PS was enabled or disabled (unless flying over it of course).

I tested this last weekend (on the P3D V3.3.5) and I agree... turning off photosceneries in the US did not give me any VAS benefit when flying in Europe.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Okay, thanks for confirming.