Sign in to follow this  
regis9

i5 6600k vs i7 6700k - any consensus?

Hello, I'm contemplating an upgrade from my i5 2500k (OC to 4.5ghz). I've been reading through this forum but can't seem to find a concensus on whether the 6700k is worthwhile over the 6600k for p3d. Reading other gaming forums and reviews the answer seems to be no, but knowing how much more cpu-bound p3d is than most games I'm taking those forums with a grain of salt. I've read on this forum that the 6700k is what most simmers building new rigs are choosing, but then I also read that the 6700k is overkill, p3d doesn't make use of HT etc.

Any thoughts? I can afford either, but I don't want to spend the extra on the 6700k if the difference in p3d performance is minimal. I don't do any video editing etc...p3d would be the most intense program my cpu needs to deal with. I'll be overclocking whatever processor I buy, I have aftermarket air cooling and a really good case for fans and air flow.

My graphics card is a gtx770.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

So it sounds like concensus may not have been reached yet lol. How about this, for those who chose the 6700k, what made you choose that over the 6600k? From what I've read it may not be worth it but a lot of simmers are still choosing the 6700k so perhaps I'm missing something?

Thanks

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I recently upgraded from i5-2500K to i7-6700K.  I picked the i7 because 7 is bigger than 5 and 6700 is bigger than 6600 so must be better :)

Seriously though, the price differential wasn't really an issue for me and I typically only upgrade hardware every 3 or 4 years so just went with what was "best" at the time.  I'd rather spend the extra money than spend the next 3 years wishing I spent it.

I got the i5 6600 and run it overclocked to 4.5GHz with a fan cooled with now issues. I run it with 737ngx, orbx flc, ASN and Rex with stable 30 to 40 fps. So I don't regret my decision, but I also can't say if the i7 would make a big difference.

Edit: with P3Dv3 in medium high settings

I picked the i7 because 7 is bigger than 5 and 6700 is bigger than 6600 so must be better :)

LOL that is the best analysis I've read yet on the topic

Dave

Both will OC to 4.5Ghz, but the 6600K has 25% less L3 cache.  This is the essence of the difference when it comes to P3D performance: does that cache really matter (I don't know) and your luck at the silicon lottery.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

see my post from couple months ago

http://www.avsim.com...2016/?p=3401162

concluding: imo not worth pay extra 50% for 1% performane FSX,P#D gain,  unless you are in video editing so you will be able o utilize HT

guys on 6700K anyway have disabled HT for P3D better performance

In games, there's nothing in it. About 1% actually.

For the sim, thoretically the bigger cache is said to be advantageous. As for how advantageus, I suspect nothing significant.

Nothing definitive though, as we have no means to compare the two thats sufficiently variable free.

Forgot to mention... 6700K tends to overclock slightly higher. Also has higher power usage.

Im no expert and Im currently in the process of building a new PC with playing high-end simulators (with mods and add-ons) as the objective. 
On DCS forum, someone posted an outstandingly profound analysis of different hardware components. You can check it here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=157374
It concluded that I7 improved performance. Yeah, I know: different softwares, and DCS 2.0 does benefit from multi core systems, but it also benefits from high freq CPUs and uses the CPU much more than the GPU. 
I would go for the i7, unlocked and effectively cooled, and I would try to get as much frecuency as possible. For extreme builds there are extreme i7s with higher L3 caches, etc. but I have no idea if the increase in cache memory has a big impact on performance. 

see my post from couple months ago

http://www.avsim.com...2016/?p=3401162

concluding: imo not worth pay extra 50% for 1% performane FSX,P#D gain,  unless you are in video editing so you will be able o utilize HT

guys on 6700K anyway have disabled HT for P3D better performance

I run an i7 6700k @4.6 GHz and have found no advantage in disabling HT.

I9 12900K @5.2Ghz  64 GB DDR4, RTX 4090, Win 11 Pro, 15 TB on 5 SSD's

i have used the 4790k, 6700k, 6600k, 5820k, in fsx and p3d i have seen no difference in performace, if you are on a budget just buy the 6600k until cannonlake, if you have the extra money go with the 6700k, i am currently using a 6600k clocked at 4.6ghz and i get 40-50 fps in p3d with a gtx 1070 and ddr4 3ghz ram, same yourself 100 bucks and buy the 6600k.i did not listen to anyone and always bought the I7, but when it comes to apples to apples, 100 bucks could go on a nice ssd or ram. good luck with your choice my friend.