Sign in to follow this  
TheFlightSimGuy

Should I wait for X-Plane 11?

Personally, I believe the move from 10 to 11 will be rather smooth. To the point that many of the systems, namely autogen, airports, avionics and more will remain almost unchanged. They put an incredible amount of work in getting these things in order during the 10 run, and they will be in place for 11. 11 will introduce new stuff (shaders, material, textures, maybe weather) and see improvements in CPU and GPU utilization, but I expect very high compability and an almost seamless transition.

What I hope gets attention in 11 the most is better interpretation of OSM data (smoother roads, less "rough edges" in general) and hopefully a system for landmarks (famous buildings, bridges ect.), maybe not unlike the airport gateway.

If you ask me, the distribution model should change to a subscription based model, something like 50 bucks per year for constant updates to X-Plane.

• Upvote 3

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

I'd like to see them implement a gateway system for regional landmarks and autogen. It's been very successful for the airports, and think it would work great for general scenery also.

• Upvote 5

I'd like to see them implement a gateway system for regional landmarks and autogen. It's been very successful for the airports, and think it would work great for general scenery also.

i think it was on the release stream of the 767, phillip münzel said that laminar was suprised how successful the gateway was and that it is something that they would look into for regionalized data

I'd wait for XP12!

Just try the XP10 demo and you'll give in hehe

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I recommend jumping in on 10 and not waiting. Mainly because if the move from v9 to v10 was any indication, you will probably be able to move any payware add-on scenery and aircraft you purchase in the meantime into the new version 11.* And as we all know, the price of any flight sim platform is bupkis, compared to an accumulation of payware add-ons.  :smile: 

If you enjoy X-Plane, it won't be long before you start picking up at least some payware aircraft. The scenery situation is a little different since 1) Orbx isn't here, and 2) there is a ton of very good free scenery available. 

* Note that most payware aircraft developers in X-Plane only support their products within each major version release. If, for example, you purchase a Carenado Cessna 208 for X-Plane 10 it should work fine in v11 (no guarantees, but that's the history). However, if there are any sexy new features in v11 for aircraft that merit a v11 version of the 208, you'll have to re-buy it as a v11 version.

Most of the time there hasn't been a problem carrying aircraft models across versions, either freeware or payware. There was a bump in the road when X-Plane moved to 64 bits, and that required recompiling plugins for aircraft that used them, but because it was within the version cycle those updates were free. IIRC, there was a major change from v8 to v9 in how scenery was handled, and that invalidated some scenery products. But I haven't heard anything about that kind of major change in v11's scenery engine.

So it should be safe to jump into the v10 water now, and start working on building up your plane hangar and scenery collection. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

no good airliners other than the iXEG 737, and even this one can't compare in terms of systems modeling with PMDG stuff

Are you serious?

Are you really saying that, for example, the FlightFactor 767, the FlyJSim 727 (esp. with the latest update) or the LES Saab 340A are not at least "good"?

I mean, after "good" comes "very good", and after that comes "awesome"...

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Yes Mario, and good that you reminded me of both the FlyJSim 727 and the 340A... although both aren't under the category of modern jet airliners I was referring to.

Turboprop wise, and although I don't own it, I guess the 340A must be really good.

Multi-prop wise, anything by Felis, and the PMDG DC-6 are certainly good ( but I don't own those either ).

And I've heard the best about that 727, a classic, although, again, I don't own that one.

First and last FF I ever bought was the 777, and I was really disappointed :-/

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I was really disappointed :-/

Well, as all developers, they get better ;) Even the 757 was a big step forward, and the 767 is really very good in my eyes.

• Upvote 1

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Well, as all developers, they get better ;) Even the 757 was a big step forward, and the 767 is really very good in my eyes.

767 is the only plane I currently fly in Xplane. Big and very highly detailed :) FF have done a very good job with this one.

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.5GHz

Corsair Vengeance Black LPX 32GB

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD