Sign in to follow this  
FSMuseum

Realistic Sky Textures

Hi all,

In more recent months, I've been slowly moving from oldie goldie FS9 to P3D 3.3. Although I'll miss a lot of my FS9 addons, I have to say P3D is an absolute blast, and with things like PTA and the NGX, flight sim has never looked so real.

Except for one thing, that I just can't seem to get right...

Sky textures.

For a while, I tried REX 4 for my sky textures. The day time textures were... alright, at best, not hugely realistic to what I've ever seen anywhere in the world, but the sunrise and sunset textures were largely attrocious, of the sets I tried. Sure, they look good or create interesting screenshots, but they are far from realistic in any sense, especially at altitude. At least, that was the case with every single set I tried (not all, but certainly I tried the majority before giving up on it...)

So then I went on to freeware solutions... I don't yet have the money for the new AS so unfortunately I cannot try that one.

I first tried the old FSX set 'Sky Textures for use with ENB' which I had used long ago many times. However, while sunrise and sunset were "better", they still weren't realistic, and the day time was even worse than in REX.

So then I moved on to HDEv2, which has so far been the best I can find, but it still not satisfying me... 

The majority issue is all the day time sets I can find include a rather bright horizon, almost white or grey in colour all the way up many degrees in the sky, 30 or 40. 

Sunrise and sunset just don't look like real sunrise and sunset...

Some pics of what I'm shooting for below, anything like these would be brilliant, or if someone knows how to make your own sky textures, I'd be glad to learn how :)

Cockpit2.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Sky_30000_feet.jpg

• Upvote 1

FS2004 Forever

Have you tried Navid's sky textures?

http://navidh.se/misc_navids_skyset_2016_v3.html

+1 on those. You should defenitely give them a try. I use them together with the HDEv2 clouds (unless I am using ASCA... Still note sure about that one yet. And certainly not adviced for the OP.)

Didn't know about those. Will certainly try them later after I finish this next flight! Thanks for the pointers.

FS2004 Forever

I can make you sky textures using the photos you posted here. Your sky will look extremely similar to the one on the photos. Are you interested? 

Also have you tried my sky pack. It's based on photos as well:

http://vrcreations.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=15994072

Hi Victor,

I have not tried your sky set either. I will do so!

If you could make me a set, I would be forever appreciative!!

If I may say on a personal request, if you so kindly choose to create one for me, my biggest point of contention with sky textures is the bright horizons and the fact that they stay relatively the same color from high altitude. The real sky darkens significantly as you fly higher, and I sorely miss that in P3D.

Thanks a billion!

FS2004 Forever

Hi Victor,

I have not tried your sky set either. I will do so!

If you could make me a set, I would be forever appreciative!!

If I may say on a personal request, if you so kindly choose to create one for me, my biggest point of contention with sky textures is the bright horizons and the fact that they stay relatively the same color from high altitude. The real sky darkens significantly as you fly higher, and I sorely miss that in P3D.

Thanks a billion!

:) here's a set for you. It's based on these 4 photos you have posted here. 

Since the photos are 4, just 4 periods of the day are included. They are as follows:

-afternoon

-2nd phase of the pre-sunset

-sunset

-1st phase of the postsunset

Let me know how you like them :)

https://mega.nz/#!Oog1wZjZ!iHVmUksCBdCE8GdLRbMKWMd6d1bnBu5OcSBlCFdWCeI

This is what you'll get with the set, created by your photos:

Prepar3D+2016-08-18%2014-48-27.jpg

Prepar3D+2016-08-18%2014-49-44.jpg

Prepar3D+2016-08-18%2014-52-23.jpg

Prepar3D+2016-08-18%2014-53-34.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

You can also try sky textures from Ultimate Realism Pack v0.9, posted yesterday.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I'm not able to see what you've produced, but if they replicate the colours and texture posted in the real shots, then  I definitely want them.

The screenshots are on post #8 :)

The screenshots are on post #8 :)

I know, but all images linked back to image websites are blocked on my work pc.

I know, but all images linked back to image websites are blocked on my work pc.

Does it work now?

gPl6er.jpg

CgjSMC.jpg

lMAiJe.jpg

Ifbl6d.jpg

Does it work now?

No but Ive just seen them on my phone.  Looks super.