Sign in to follow this  
clif9710

FSX add-on confusion

I have been out of the FSX cockpit for a couple of years and have forgotten what add-ons I had...old age is creeping up on me!

Is there an add-on that will detect and indicate what FSX add-ons are present? AFAIK, FSX doesn't have a "mods" page like many video games where you can see what mods you have and select/deselect them. I think the only way that I can see what add-ons I have is to go through the FSX folders looking for specific add-on folders, but since I've forgotten what I have, I'd have trouble telling one thing from another.

My particular concern is with scenery add-ons. Would they all be in the FSX scenery folder? What would a vanilla FSX scenery folder contain?

If you open the scenery.cfg file with Notepad, you'll see what you have active.

Anything past Area117 (Cities - Edwards) is addon scenery..

Program Data \ Microsoft \ FSX \ scenery.cfg

• Upvote 1

Bert

Most major scenery addons would be in the Addon Scenery folder.  The other option would be in the Addon Scenery folder in another folder just labeled Scenery.  The Main Scenery folder will contain all of the default areas of the Sim.

• Upvote 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Hi!

With regard to scenery addons, it is unusual to find any in the 'scenery' folder but you will probably find that many of them are in the 'addon scenery' folder. Products from many developers will be in their own folders - Aerosoft, Blueprint, Eiresim, Fly Tampa, Imaginesim, Sim720, Tropical Sim, UKXtreme, etc, to list but a few. Some products purchased from Simmarket however will be found in a separate Simmarket folder.

You could also open your scenery library in FSX and you could compare that with the scenery library in a vanilla install to give you an idea of what addons you may have.

Bill

• Upvote 1

If you open the scenery.cfg file with Notepad, you'll see what you have active.

Program Data \ Microsoft \ FSX \ scenery.cfg

Thanks! I have areas beyond 117 up to 138. Cities - Edwards AFB is 120 in my scenery.cfg followed by titles with FS Global Ultimate and one that I just installed UTX. This is probably a question for the program providers, but do add-ons generally coexist peacefully or is it necessary to remove one before installing another? As I recall, the FS Global Ultimate of a few years back included South America (.cfg does show a CSA central and south America entry). My UTX purchase was North America only. Ideally, the UTX would only replace the NA portion of the FS Global install...

Most major scenery addons would be in the Addon Scenery folder.  The other option would be in the Addon Scenery folder in another folder just labeled Scenery.  The Main Scenery folder will contain all of the default areas of the Sim.

Thanks, Charlie. My add-on scenery folder is empty so I'm clean on that one.

Some sceneries coexist, others conflict.. there is no simple answer to that one, I'm afraid.

Typically, the priority sequence of the sceneries (in the cfg file) matters also.

Bert

Hi!

With regard to scenery addons, it is unusual to find any in the 'scenery' folder but you will probably find that many of them are in the 'addon scenery' folder. Products from many developers will be in their own folders - Aerosoft, Blueprint, Eiresim, Fly Tampa, Imaginesim, Sim720, Tropical Sim, UKXtreme, etc, to list but a few. Some products purchased from Simmarket however will be found in a separate Simmarket folder.

You could also open your scenery library in FSX and you could compare that with the scenery library in a vanilla install to give you an idea of what addons you may have.

Bill

Thanks, Bill

I discovered I have a "old scenery.cfg" in addition to the scenery.cfg. The old has UT entries. The current scenery.cfg has those and UTX entries (I just purchased UTX), so I am hopeful there is no conflict. I suppose it is always a good idea to uninstall since things could really get mixed up placing new things in with old.

Thanks, Bill

I discovered I have a "old scenery.cfg" in addition to the scenery.cfg. The old has UT entries. The current scenery.cfg has those and UTX entries (I just purchased UTX), so I am hopeful there is no conflict. I suppose it is always a good idea to uninstall since things could really get mixed up placing new things in with old.

Yes, as a rule it is better to uninstall an old version of any scenery addon before you install a new one, unless it specifically states in the install instructions that it is not necessary.

Bill

Thanks! I have areas beyond 117 up to 138.

A default FSX with Acceleration install will have 120 scenery entries, not 117.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif