Sign in to follow this  
cowpatz

FS Labs A320 FSX release set for 18 Aug

Lefteris has confirmed on the FSL forum, that the $99.95 price, does not include VAT for EU buyers.  So to EU buyers, it will cost $119.99.   [Gulp].

What a unit price.   10 sales = $1,000.   I'm in the wrong business!

Just bantering - it may well be worth it, I'm sure.  But it's out of my budget, so I'll have to just look on enviously at the videos and screenshots from others :)

Well they do have to make up for the 6 years of not earning a dime while it was in development.

Well they do have to make up for the 6 years of not earning a dime while it was in development.

Let me also add that a wildly successful release is probably 10 to 20,000 units sold.  At this price point lets call it 10,000 tops.  So they make $1,000,000.  That is $166K per year, divide that by at least 2 and probably 3 or 4 developers and these guys are just making a very modest salary on this release.  I don't think you will find FSL developers retired on a beach anytime soon from the A320X.

• Upvote 5

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Lower the price and sell 50,000.

• Upvote 1

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

That's all a non-sequitur and not relevant to the point I was making (explain Aerosoft, for example)

US legal culture vs European legal culture perhaps comes into it here.

Bill

UK LAPL-A

Currently flying:- (GA): COWS DA-42, A2A Comanche, FSW C414, WT SR22T, FSS P2006, BlSq TBM850, FSR M500, Flyboy Rans S6S, SWS Zenith 701,C172 JT-A mod (Airliners): Fenix A320, Ini A300-600, FBW A320 NEO and PMDG737.

Guest Mik75

Now, that the release date is known, I am really looking forward to it!

My main sim is P3D, but I still got FSX installed, and it's in good shape and running nicely.

So, if I make it on time, I'll buy it tomorrow.

I've spent thousands of dollars for software and hardware over the last 12 years of flight simming. Just to sit in front of a screen, for hours and hours. Come on, it's a hobby!? Other hobbies aren't cheap either! ;-)

I take your general point, but principally, time does not = value.  Do we know that they worked full time on the project, in a linear manner?   If so, then I'd unconditionally agree with you.  If the project was part-time, with occasional breaks, then it's harder to draw a time = money (and hence cost) comparison.

PS.... I'm not suggesting that it's not worth the price - I'm not in that camp.  As someone else said, we get maybe one very high fidelity complex airliner simulation per two years on average. Most hobbies are expensive, depending on the level of commitment (/addiction!). :smile:    ... it may well be worth the cost.   I am shocked by the price point, but that's just in terms of a pretty normal psychological reaction, to a flight sim addon costing $119.99.   Part of the reason for that cost/shock is just down to global inflation levels - something FSL aren't in control of.   The first complex addon I bought was the LDS 767 and I (think) it cost me about $39.99, hence there's just a natural reaction to be quite taken aback at how much these addons now cost.      ...but that doesn't necessarily imply a suggestion that it's too expensive.

At the moment, it's not for me at that price - purely because the AS buses satisfy my everday A3XX needs.   But when I start seeing nice videos of the FSL after release, I may start "putting the pennies in a jar" and save for it.

• Upvote 3

Bill

UK LAPL-A

Currently flying:- (GA): COWS DA-42, A2A Comanche, FSW C414, WT SR22T, FSS P2006, BlSq TBM850, FSR M500, Flyboy Rans S6S, SWS Zenith 701,C172 JT-A mod (Airliners): Fenix A320, Ini A300-600, FBW A320 NEO and PMDG737.

I'm a PhD student on a small stipend who commutes an hour each way. $100 is several tanks of fuel. $100 is a whole week of groceries. $100 is what was just left in my bank account because the school expects you to work as a full-time employee, but only pays you for half-time and only 11 months of the year since they don't want to tack on any kind of benefits.

I remember those days.  If the FSL A320 ends up being awesome I'll buy you a copy for making FreeMeshX free!

• Upvote 3

I'm pretty convinced the P3D version will be around $130, and I will wait for the reviews - but if it is a study sim as deep as the PMDG 777/737, I'll gladly pay that.  How much do you think the PMDG 747 v2 will cost?

It's all a matter of perspective.  Buying a $2500 DSLR camera is madness to some, cheap to others.  My $600 one serves me well, my pro photographer brother-in-law wouldn't take a picture of his cat with it.

But to be honest, $100-150 isn't much considering many of us have $2000+ PCs that are ridiculously powerful in standard gaming terms, and approach professional workstations, just to run P3D.

You vote with your wallet.  If this is as good as it's said, it'll be my pleasure to vote with mine.

• Upvote 1

sig01.png

I wish FSL the best of luck with their pending release.

I have followed the project from almost day one and I am personally very excited to the release.

Funds have been put aside for the bus and have made some interest on them while waiting  :Tounge: 

We've  had plenty of time to save for it and im sure it will be worth every penny spent!

Chris Howard

I remember those days.  If the FSL A320 ends up being awesome I'll buy you a copy for making FreeMeshX free!

Ha, I appreciate the offer! However, I don't know if I'll hold you to it because that is just too generous and I would feel awfully guilty. :smile:

• Upvote 1

To be honest, I don't see the price to be unreasonable. Given that a lot of console games these days can be pushing $50-$60, and taking into consideration exactly what FSLabs have created - this isn't a video game. It's a product which simulates in great depth one of the most complex machines in the world, which themselves cost millions of dollars. If you want something that has a nice looking visual model and you can jump in it and fly it with relative ease for a low price, then that's already available elsewhere. This isn't the same.

• Upvote 1

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

This silly conversation happens every time a high end addon comes out.  Nothing wrong with it...every one has an opinion and they are all free to express it. So no criticism on that front. 

These commercial vendors understand the economy of scale and their pricing strategy. And these comments here is one additional input for them, so no need to shut people up who are miffed at the price.

For most of us Aerosoft A32x is  awesome, so not sure why someone would need FSLabs A32x unless you want those "realistic" features.  But then are unwilling to pay for those "realistic" features which cost these developers a lot of money to provide.

In any case, I shall wait for the P3D version and see how well they perform on my PC..(Performance, the eye candy and the realistic features that I may or may not use..but its nice to have it there if I want to avail those features  is worth paying this much IMO).

What I want to complain about is, How come there are no videos and screens shots as yet? We can have a change of conversation and ###### and moan about how wrong they are on this aircraft?

• Upvote 1

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Ha, I appreciate the offer! However, I don't know if I'll hold you to it because that is just too generous and I would feel awfully guilty. :smile:

Nobody should feel guilty for releasing freeware of payware quality and content. I'll be here, offer stands!

• Upvote 3

What I want to complain about is, How come there are no videos and screens shots as yet? We can have a change of conversation and ###### and moan about how wrong they are on this aircraft?

Lol yea we can count how many missing rivets compared to the rw airbus,  there a few screen shots on the fs lab forum but the nda was released yesterday  I think or the day before so give them time.

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

If the FSL A320 ends up being awesome I'll buy you a copy for making FreeMeshX free!

I like that.

I won't spend a hundred bucks on a very detailed addon, because I'd probably never get the use out of it.  I'll never to study the manuals to the point of being an actual Airbus/Boeing pilot, without actually doing so.  That was more or less my rule, when I actually flew real planes. Instead, I'll just go out into the desert, and blast thru a $100+ worth of ammo. And it will be all gone. But I'll feel good about it!  And I'm not rich by any means.  

Do I feel sorry for those here, who dismiss $100 as being too expensive, and make a big deal about it?  No, I don't!  I think there is quite a cheap bunch here, who think it's their right to tell a developer how much to charge.  These people have no idea of the amount of work, that actually goes, or doesn't go into a project. And time IS money!  Complain all you want. Just don't buy it, if it's too much.  But then don't just make up a bunch of excuses of why it's too much.  But then of course, that's the internet way...