Sign in to follow this  
Guest tahomatom

Buying Win 7 on Amazon

Guest tahomatom

In my effort to save a few bucks on my system build I came across this on Amazon.  The reviews seem mixed, but most are saying the only issues are having to activate via phone or not receiving some promised mousepad or whatever.  Would you have any reservations about buying a product like this?  It's an OEM copy of Win 7 and it's for a brand new build.  I'm not the most tech savvy person in the world so any issues beyond me having to call in to activate it might cause me some problems.  I suppose I could try to get it refunded in the event that it doesn't work.

https://www.amazon.com/Windows-Professional-bit-Activation-Code/dp/B01B9WYQU2/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

You can get Win10 Pro for under £30 if you google.

• Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Guest tahomatom

I'm still a bit torn on Win 10 for FSX.  A lot of people say it runs fine but some still report some issues.  Win 7 seems to have very few issues compared to 10.

Sure, I'm into nice cosy Win7 for FSX definitely. However going forward things may pan out with less problems presuming your new build is recent kit. Some have had troubles getting Win7 onto the newer builds. Win10 has all the new stuff and support for emerging hardware.

FSX runs fine on Win10, check on forums for feedback from those using hardware, panels for example, see if your addon kit works with Win10 and what the problems are before going for it.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

In my effort to save a few bucks on my system build I came across this on Amazon.  The reviews seem mixed, but most are saying the only issues are having to activate via phone or not receiving some promised mousepad or whatever.  Would you have any reservations about buying a product like this?  It's an OEM copy of Win 7 and it's for a brand new build.  I'm not the most tech savvy person in the world so any issues beyond me having to call in to activate it might cause me some problems.  I suppose I could try to get it refunded in the event that it doesn't work.

https://www.amazon.com/Windows-Professional-bit-Activation-Code/dp/B01B9WYQU2/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I would not have any hesitation in installing Win 7 this way..

Bert

Win 7 all the way.

Best thing about the OEM version is you can install it multiple times. Far cheaper then the full versions.

Guest tahomatom

After some more research it appears most problems have been caused by upgrading to Win 10 vs. installing it fresh.  Hmm I may have to dig a little deeper to see which would be my better choice.

But this one is COA? for refurbished PC? What does that mean?

I bought a Win 7 from Amazon recently and it was this.  But I bought it from Amazon...currently its listed as someone else is selling.. not sure if I would trust them particualry when it says "Open Box - Like New"... Please do not buy this one.. I am posting here to show you the version I bought from amazon and I had no issues.

https://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-System-Builder-Packaging/dp/B00H09BB16/ref=sr_1_9?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1471396082&sr=1-9&keywords=win+7

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest tahomatom

If I remember right technically it's supposed to be only used for a refurbished PC due to licensing rules, but the OS will install fine on a new build. 

As someone who was stuck on 7 (I didn't want to upgrade) I'm glad I tried 10. I saved 15gb onu SSD,it's faster,and once you turn off all the useless MS crap and install classic shell it looks just like 7

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I paid £13 for a kosher Windows 10 the other week.  You can get Win 7 for similar too

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

Guest tahomatom

Ok cool thanks guys.  A fresh install of windows 10 might not be a bad idea.  I found a download version for $28 so I just need to snag a USB so I can install it from that.