Sign in to follow this  
icemarkom

Procedure Turns; Some Approach Transitions (IAF/IF) Missing

It has been a while since I posted here and about the same since I last spent some time with wonderful PMDG 737, but recently I started enjoying it again, so please forgive me if I'm asking something already answered, but my quick search for past topics did not fully answer all my questions on this topic.

These are really two questions.

A few days ago I was flying on the route that ended with the ILS approach that required a procedure turn. I figured out during the flight that the PT was not programmed, and just used the HDG/VS to fly it, and it actually worked fine. It's my understanding that PMDG did not implement this in their code, but there is the proverbial SP2 coming up at some point in the future. Is this something that's perhaps on the list of deliverables? I totally understand that chances of an airline flying this in a controlled space are slim to none, but nevertheless... ATC could be on strike ;-)

Another question is only somewhat related. I'm sad to say that I don't *quite* remember what approach this was, but I noticed a little discrepancy between the chart (latest FAA 2016-07-21 print) and FMC that for a particular approach not all IAF/IF were available in FMC. I.e. I didn't have an option to fly the approach as I would've selected to fly it. Is this the Navigraph (which I also have the latest cycle), or some other issue?

Thanks a lot for reading through.

Procedure turns are not implemented and I've never heard that there is a SP2, an eventual update I'm sure but nothing has been announced or discussed.  The procedure turns are rarely flown by air carrier aircraft who are under ATC control. Think what that would do to arrival rates.  Regardless, now is the time to fly the airplane instead of following the magenta line.

No way of knowing the answer to the second not knowing the approach.  Normally, only IAF are listed and I've not run into a problem with any missing that I recall.

Dan Downs KCRP

Indeed, I *believe* it was the IF that was missing as a transition (which is perfectly fine to do). I can't recall the actual approach, but will take a look.

Regarding the PT, I believe you repeated pretty much all I said, I was just curious whether this is something we can expect to see once, and if, the update arrives. Using modes other than VNAV/LNAV is fine, but it's also fine to have those two. I like to have the automation available to help in all its glory.