Sign in to follow this  
citationjet

Problems with Nvidia Card detection in FSX

HI guys,

I set up my gaming laptop with WIN 7 and installed  my FSX Gold Edition. The System is set up with all actual drivers for the Nvidia Card but my problem is that FSX didnt recognize my nvidia card. In the settings (fsx.cfg) and in the in game settings  it shows alsways Intel Graphics HD. I have no chance to select my nvidia card.

Even if I start FSX from the desktop as Admin and select which card should be used ( i choose nvidia as standard ) the FSX shows only the Intel Card. I try to run the nvidia control panel and select to use the nvidia as standard card for the FSX.EXE but as well this doesnt fix the problem.

I also tried to rebuilt several times the fsx.cfg but at the end I have again only the intel card available.

The strange thing is that if I start dxdiag it shows also only the intel card. In the past there was my nvidia card shown.....i dodnt know what Im doing wrong but I need your help please! Where is my mistake or the error that my nvidia card is not shown?

Thanks in advance for your support!

Cheers,

Mark

Sounds like your laptop is equipped with onboard Intel graphics.  If you installed an Nvidia card, I suspect you will need to enter the BIOS and turn off the onboard Intel graphics.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Hi Stans,

already checked this in BIOS there is nothing to dis or enable.

You could try seeing if both the Intel and Nvidia are listed in Device Manager under Display adapters.  If so, then right click on the Intel entry and disable it.

Ernest Pergrem

Hi Donor,

thx for your feedback. I tried this already and when I disable the Intel one the Laptop remains black after restarting and I can run windows only within the safe modus

Do you have DX10 Preview disabled in your FSX/Graphics settings?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Just guessing, but maybe you should check the power safe functions of your laptop, because maybe those prevent it from running 3D graphics and games on the NVIDIA card instead of the iGPU.

Just to be sure....You said you have FSX Gold Edition installed.  All 3 discs so you have Acceleration?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

If you have both an Intel HD Graphics AND a NVIDIA graphics chip (which I have in my laptop - Intel HD 4600 + NVIDIA 870M) I would definately NOT recommend any type of trying to disable the Intel Graphics chip.

I suppose, that your system is equipped with Optimus from NVIDIA, which makes the Intel chip and NVIDIA chip work in 'symbiosis'. In other words, the NVIDIA chip won't function without the Intel Graphics chip... (on some motherboards/laptops there's an option to disable Optimus - but I don't know, what effect that will have...)

The correct (and possibly best way) is to launch NVIDIA Control Panel, and setup individual programs to use either the NVIDIA graphics card, or Intel HD Graphics card...  :smile: Try right-clicking and select NVIDIA Control Panel and select 3D settings or something like that... 

There should be an option to change between default graphics chip (which by default is AUTO) and NVIDIA and Intel.

The full NVIDIA Control Panel, is ONLY available with the drivers downloaded from NVIDIA's website! They're NOT available when using drivers from Windows Update (as far as I've experienced).

Hope that helped a little ...  :smile:

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

@Charlie: Yes it is ACC Version

@Anders: Thx. I already have the Nvidia Control Panel installed and to start the fsx.exe with the NVIDIA card is selected already.

Servus Michael,

thx i will check this. Is there any specific setting which I need to check?

It depends a lot how your laptop system is designed. May you share what type/model it is?

General I would advice to set it to maximum performance when you play games and let it run on power line and not battery.

Second thing that comes to my mind is wether your laptop vendor supports the general graphics driver provided by NVIDIA itself or restricts to his own adaption?

Hi Michael,

i set it to max performance but didnt change anything...still the Intel card is displayed.

it is a pure gaming laptop and before I rebuilt the laptop the nvidia card worked perfectly

before I rebuilt the laptop the nvidia card worked perfectly

What do you mean by "rebuild the laptop"?