Sign in to follow this  
BMagann

GTX980Ti vs GTX 1080

Is there any reason in P3D v3.x  to upgrade from a 980Ti to the available 1080 cards? Given the cost will there be any noticeable increase in performance? For reference, I would consider a 10% frame rate increase to be clearly noticeable. 

Sorry if this has been asked already, and thanks for any input you can give!

Bill

- Bill Magann

I went from a 670 to a 1070 and saw a 10FPS gain...I was using 4 monitors.

In your case I doubt you would see any gain if at all.980ti is a good card.. If I were you, I'd wait 

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

For P3D get 2 video cards and Rift.

Trust me we simmers have almost the entire hardware requirements for VR.

Skip 980ti and go for 1080 or 1070.

I believe 1070 outperforms 980ti.

2x1070 will be nice with VR and P3Dv3

P3Dv3 loves SLI.  It works so much better.  And I have 2x980s

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

later this year there will be a 1080TI i keep my 980Ti im very happy in fsx steam with that.

Use a GPU utilization monitor and see how close to 100% utilization in your general flying scenarios. If you're never reaching 100% (I don't with a 980 @ 4K), then you probably won't see any improvement if you move up. You can also check your VRAM usage.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

For reference, I would consider a 10% frame rate increase to be clearly noticeable.

Apart from the gain that can be expected: maybe you have very good eyes but most people can't see a difference between 30 or 33 fps. Or 40 and 44. Or 50 and 55. And so on. An increase of 10% isn't much, it is in fact very, very little, specially not for the price of a GTX1080. I wonder if anyone else would consider a 10% frame rate increase clearly noticable. 

Not at all. Keep your Ti until P3D evolves in a way that justifies it.

The 980 Ti has insane memory bandwidth (more than a stock 1080) and that really helps in high resolutions, leaving the "equivalent" 1070 very close or even behind in P3D.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Thanks friends. I was just looking for a reason to spend money uselessly and you saved me! My head told me there wouldn't be much increase, but you know, we always are lured by the shiny new thing.

- Bill Magann

I have the TI and P3D doesn't use most of it so I see no point in upgrading at this point, I'm running the ASUS Strix edition which is a pretty good TI and on the 1440p ROG Swift monitor. 

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Only reason I'm upgrading to a 1080 was because I'm replacing a gtx 580. Now that's an upgrade!

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Or you could spend $1200US on a new Titan X (Pascal) and still not see much improvement over a GTX 980 ti. Until P3d goes DX12, the CPU side of things will be limiting what nVidia's top of the line cards can do.

I have a GTX 780 and it seems it might be worthwhile upgrade, but I don't know what benchmarks to compare with.  Any hints, yea or nay?

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

I have a GTX 780 and it seems it might be worthwhile upgrade, but I don't know what benchmarks to compare with.  Any hints, yea or nay?

What monitor are you using? Do you have multi monitor setup? If you do then it maybe worth replacing the 780... otherwise you may want to do more research to see how your could benefit ...

I wanted to say, you could benefit with more denser clouds,..but with the v3.3.5, LM gave us a improvement on that front as well

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

What monitor are you using? Do you have multi monitor setup? If you do then it maybe worth replacing the 780... otherwise you may want to do more research to see how your could benefit ...

I wanted to say, you could benefit with more denser clouds,..but with the v3.3.5, LM gave us a improvement on that front as well

It depends on the setup indeed. I have a 1920x1080 monitor and a GTX780 (6GB) and tried a GTX980Ti last year. Send it back to the store the next day. Not worth the money at all.