Sign in to follow this  
BMagann

GTX980Ti vs GTX 1080

What monitor are you using? Do you have multi monitor setup? If you do then it maybe worth replacing the 780... otherwise you may want to do more research to see how your could benefit ...

I wanted to say, you could benefit with more denser clouds,..but with the v3.3.5, LM gave us a improvement on that front as well

Just a single 23" monitor...Though I have 19" crt in the basement, but no desk space nowadays.  I want to get more monitors some year...

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

Just a single 23" monitor...Though I have 19" crt in the basement, but no desk space nowadays. I want to get more monitors some year...

In that case: if you want to give the 1080 a try, make sure to get it from a store where you can return the card no questions asked. ;)

And btw concerning the benchmarks (which was your original question): P3D can't be compared with ANY game out there so unless you find a benchmark done with P3D itself, benchmarks are of no use at all. In a lot of games the difference between a 780 and a 1080 will be staggering but not so with P3D.

And btw concerning the benchmarks (which was your original question): P3D can't be compared with ANY game out there so unless you find a benchmark done with P3D itself, benchmarks are of no use at all. In a lot of games the difference between a 780 and a 1080 will be staggering but not so with P3D.

Really good advice, J van E. Mainstream benchmarks don't reflect the CPU bound nature of P3D.

• Upvote 1

I have been flight simming  for years, I change a graphics card every 2 or 3 years and always ask the question in forums, will upgrading to the latest (in this case 1080) from my current (780 in this case) make a difference?

Always get the same reply, no it wont, wait for the next generation card , what that does is slow me down from buying the card inmediatelly , then like a month or so later I go buy it, install it and every single time I have been happy with the results.

At this stage Im in the month of thinking about it.

• Upvote 1

From my experience the jump 980ti > 1080 in P3D will be rarely noticable. It could even be that 980ti performs better. It is a great card. Only for P3D, the jump to a new card is not worth it.

If at all I would wait for the 1080ti and ask again!

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

For P3D get 2 video cards and Rift.

Trust me we simmers have almost the entire hardware requirements for VR.

Skip 980ti and go for 1080 or 1070.

I believe 1070 outperforms 980ti.

2x1070 will be nice with VR and P3Dv3

P3Dv3 loves SLI.  It works so much better.  And I have 2x980s

Interesting to hear that P3Dv3 loves SLI.

I remember when lots of discussions were going on in here on this topic and I remember there were all kinds of issues in the beginning where people had weird problems with lights, P3D didn't make full use of the second card with a very uneven load between the two cards etc etc.

However after reading your comment I take it all these issues have now been addressed in the latest version of P3Dv3 and that it's now able to make full use of an SLI setup without any issues vs running on a single card? Have Nvidia finally released a proper SLI profile for P3D?

I'm on a single 980Ti as well but my question/interest wouldn't be if an upgrade to a 1080 would be worth it but rather getting a second 980Ti now that you can get one for half the price you paid for your first card if you bought it when they were released like I did.

Doubling the graphical power in your rig for about $400 seems like a rather good investment in my eyes as long as the most current as well as furture versions of P3D will make good use of it without causing any issues related to SLI.

Richard Åsberg

From all I heard is that SLI will NOT double graphics power. The bottle neck is somewhere else.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

No, I guess that is right.

I did some searching after posting in this thread and looks like the experience people are having still is very mixed. Some say SLI works really great in P3D like in the post I quoted in my last post while others say quite the opposite and some people say they get even better overall performance running a single card.

I also confirmed there's still not an Nvidia official SLI profile for P3D.

So...with this said I'll carry on with my single 980Ti for now.

Richard Åsberg

There is a SLI profile with the Nvidia Drivers for a while.  I see Prepar3d in Nvidia Inspector and Nvidia Control App.

I even tried with SLI indicator on.  So far super awesome on my end.  Ask Rob, I believe he is using SLI too.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

I know there has been a Prepar3D entry in the Nvidia driver list for quite some time but the way I understood it that one never really worked very good with the current versions of P3D. I followed the link below listing all games with true SLI support and I couldn't find any version of P3D in that list.

Anyway glad to hear you're happy with your SLI setup :smile:

Here's the link showing games with SLI support mentioned above.

http://www.geforce.com/games-applications/technology/sli

Richard Åsberg

It may be too early to tell, but i just made the swap and i'm not seeing a difference at all, maybe worse (even with VR per my other thread here).. driver reinstall/clean install included.. still evaluating though, seems a bit crazy to not have any change whatsoever (in P3D at least).

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

I Love my 980 TI Hybrid, chugging away at 44 C, this card has never gone over 52 C , I think i will wait.