Sign in to follow this  
DTG Martin

Steam Gauges vs Glass Cockpits Poll (Official)

Steam Gauges vs Glass Cockpits  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

Hi everyone, 

We are running a quick poll to find out which you prefer most, Steam Gauges or Glass Cockpits?

Cast your vote in the poll and leave us a comment to explain way. 

Thanks everyone,

- Martin 

Depends on the aircraft and type of flying I want to do on any particular day.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

If General Aviation, Steam Gauges because it feels natural to me. If Commercial Aircraft, depends on when it came in service. For the 757, I'd prefer the original cockpit (uses more analog gauges) over the retrofit cockpit (uses similar to the 737 NG, 747-400 and 777).

Júnior Silva

I voted glass just to mix things up. I agree with Kyle's response. In respect to DTG deciding where to allocate resources, I think the best bet is to give space to both. Considering that glass cockpits on new GA aircraft have been pretty standard fare for the last little while, the default hanger of the upcoming sim should show a mix of both types, so that the range of default aircraft can reward that, "What do I feel like today?" moment.

Tim

Voted Glass just to raise its percentage, but like both.

IMHO in reality there should be another option; something like: To each its own.

Some planes were designed with steam gauges, some with glass panels, some came with a mix and some older planes have been retrofitted with one or more glass components.

And all have their advantages.

Cheers

It's an odd thing to focus on (IMO). I would have thought it would follow from a decision about which categories of aircraft to include as default models between light GA, vintage GA, medium and commuter GA, heavies, etc. I prefer steam gauges because that's what I find on the categories of planes I like to fly -- mostly bush planes, vintage GA, and helicopters, I don't choose those planes because they have steam gauges. 

Maybe they're trying to figure out how many different variations of glass cockpits to focus on initially, since steam gauges are probably simpler to code.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I prefer Steam in classic or most small general aviation aircraft.  Glass is ok in more complex business aircraft especially if it used in the real world aircraft.

What I prefer personally (steam gauges) doesn't reflect reality, since GA, business jets, and commercial jets use both depending mostly upon their age.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

A/C beginner trainer: Steam. For an advance trainer: Glass. I guess

My%20Signature.jpg

Voted for glass since I mostly like to fly business jets and prefer glass in those.

But GA is steam all the way!

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

I like steam gauges, but like to add Garmin GTN avionics.. is that "Glass"?

Bert

Didn't vote because it is impossible to choose. For airliners I prefer glass (I in fact dislike steam gauge airliners) but for GA I mostly prefer steam but sometimes a bit of glass is nice. I do like a GPS in my GA every now and then but I don't like totally glass GA. The choice is too difficult for me. ;)

Glass is standard today. Steam just for oldtimers and low budget. But even low budget start to use glass.

I'll be brief: steam for GA and glass for jets.

Rupert

Best regards

Rupert

I like steam gauges, but like to add Garmin GTN avionics.. is that "Glass"?

I wouldn't think so, since even an in-panel GPS linked to functions like autopilot on GA aircraft could still have steam gauges for primary flight instruments. I think steam vs. glass is mainly about how you're reading airspeed, altitude, horizon, etc.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor