Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Back to GA , again

Nice challenge is to take off from the Anchorage area,either Merrill, or PANC or Hood Lake,  and fly up the Turnagain Arm  to Whittier and land on that rather short runway  You can only approach the runway from over the water, due to the mountain on the other end.  

Thank you Bob. I'll give her a go. Just east southeast of Skagway (PAGY) The White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad provide some interesting scenery if you follow. As I write, my second daughter of four, for some odd reason decided to move from San Francisco to Kenai AK to become an aircraft mechanic :-| so I guess I'll be spending a great deal of simming to that area. 

Another couple of fun aircraft are the Fairchild 24 and the Aeronca Champ.

Safe skies...

The only problem is that the really small airports and seaplane bases, are not in the Airac data for either PATC or my GTN 650, so what I do is plan a flight to the nearest airport that is listed, and then just navigate to the small airport or seaplane base from there using dead reckoning.

And while Ded-Reckoning is fun, In IMC it's a MAYBE that you safely arrive at your destination...you could do as I did in the SAK vid I showed you and;

1. Once you've arrived at your ded-reckoned remote unlisted destination, and safely parked, or;

A. Still n the air, pause your sim and;

2. create and name a User waypoint for posterity, resume flying, and take your time finding your approach knowing you will never lose your way your destination or;

2. Pre-flight;

A. Look up the NAV offset or Lat/Long from the charts and;

B. Create your own user NAV waypoints by entering the approach and/or landing data , as I did creating my lil' ADE home-made airstrip K69 https://youtu.be/CI_TF_wto6c and the NGX approach into PAPG https://youtu.be/4F4vwKWuGVE .

....never to be forgotten by your wonderful GTN, or translated into approach data, your NGX's FMC.

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Nice challenge is to take off from the Anchorage area,either Merrill, or PANC or Hood Lake,  and fly up the Turnagain Arm  to Whittier and land on that rather short runway  You can only approach the runway from over the water, due to the mountain on the other end.  

Hi Bob. Took your advice and flew into PAWR Whittier...Thank you. In this post I have included a YT video of my landing @ PAWR after taking off from PAMR. I've had this scenery for quite awhile and never new PAWR was here. Plan G shows PAWR but not the topography. It uses Mapquest so it's limited. Again appreciate this thread!!

A one minute video of my first landing at PAWR Whittier Alaska...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwbbt3jZFEY

Chas hope your HOTAS is fixed after that sour disater! Part of historic BUSH flying is the thrill of aviation, so my next landing will include a 24 knott cross wind in a snow storm as I caculate the cost of a replacement bulb for my left landing light that just went out dew to overuse!

Safe skies!

Greg

Hi Bob. Took your advice and flew into PAWR Whittier...Thank you. In this post I have included a YT video of my landing @ PAWR after taking off from PAMR. I've had this scenery for quite awhile and never new PAWR was here. Plan G shows PAWR but not the topography. It uses Mapquest so it's limited. Again appreciate this thread!!

A one minute video of my first landing at PAWR Whittier Alaska...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwbbt3jZFEY

Chas hope your HOTAS is fixed after that sour disater! Part of historic BUSH flying is the thrill of aviation, so my next landing will include a 24 knott cross wind in a snow storm as I caculate the cost of a replacement bulb for my left landing light that just went out dew to overuse!

Safe skies!

Greg

As you are approaching Whittier, about 8 miles before it on the right, is a glacier, which I flew over in real life in a C 172 when I was in Anchorage for a week. Here is a photo of it.   

FlyingupGlacier.jpg

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Great post.  

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2