Sign in to follow this  
conura

Vatsim without departure capable gps

Hello guys,

I've just finished the Angle of Attack pro course and feel like I'm ready to move onto vatsim now. The problem is I want to fly IFR departures but the default gps isn't departure compatible. Is there a way to do this with a simple aircraft like the sky labs Cessna or a REP bonanza, or should I just use the IXEG 73 or ff76 as they handle sids? Can I just tell ATC that I don't have departure gps?

I control on Vatsim and if I give you an RNAV SID departure and you then tell me that you are not RNAV capable I will then give you "fly runway heading maintain 3000ft for vectors on course".  Pretty simple work around on Vatsim and not a problem at all, just make the controller aware of your aircraft capabilities.

• Upvote 2

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I echo what Mark says - the key is to advise them you do not have FMS or GPS

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I control on Vatsim

can i ask a question. How hard is it to learn and where can i learn it? I would love to learn how to ATC control. 

You can find stuff online to make and import flight plans for fsx. If there is a dp or arrival in the imported plan, the GPS will just fly whatever was imported. Make sense? Gotta have the departure in the flight plan and when it's imported into fsx, it will show up as just separate fixes. That way you could still fly the departure with the default gps.

Pfpx does this. You can import the flight plan with the departures, arrivals, airways and all that stuff into the fsx format and it will load into the default GPS in fsx. You just gotta set up a default flight plan through fsx and then log into vats I'm afterwards.

TOTALLY DIDN'T REALIZE THAT THIS WAS IN THE X-PLANE FORUM. DISREGARD MY POST!!!! MY BAD

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

For the purposes of VATSIM (not real world) you can plot the RNAV waypoints of the SID (Same for an arrival) into the GPS. That will work 95% of the time just fine. You just have to pay attention what the departure is having you do fly a heading and then get vectored on course or if it is to a RNAV fix off the runway you will most likely be golden.

If you do mess up you will still be closer than most VATSIM pilots.

You will want to get your clearance first as if I give you a different departure then you have a lot of work to do.

Neil Garner

RW- ASEL

X-Plane and P3D