Hello,

I've been looking into switching from REX Texture Direct to AS16 mainly because of AS16's function to download live weather and because you get the weather radar in the PMDG planes working. Now I heard about using both REX and AS16 together. Can anyone tell me what this is all about?

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Can anyone tell me what this is all about?

AS16 and REX can used together. It is no different than using REX with ASN, AS2012, or ASE. AS16 is for the weather and REX is for textures. I have run AS16, REX Essentials, and Rex Direct all at the same time.

So you can use AS16 to download live weather for your location and to edit etc. while the textures are still provided by REX?

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

So you can use AS16 to download live weather for your location and to edit etc. while the textures are still provided by REX?

Yes, they work very well together. Best I have seen.

Greg

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

Thanks for your replies!

Thanks for your replies![/

Canuck, you shpuld also consider purchasing ASCA vice using REX textures. The combination of AS16 and ASCA provides dynamic texture loading, which is really a nice feature that's not available with AS16/REX combination. ASCA is a configure and forget application; to that end, you simply enable dynamic mode and allow the program to select the textures that best aligns with the current weather conditions. So, there's no more searching for and loading textures from REX every flight. Also, if you fly long legs, ASCA will dynamically load weather textures while your sim is running. This ensures your textures matches the weather conditions. Again, just something to consider. If you enjoy REX, there's no reason to change. However, if you do a search, you'll find the vast majority of simmers who made the switch we're glad they did. I know I diffiantly am....

Matt King

So, basically, that combination allows you to change textures during flight?

So, basically, that combination allows you to change textures during flight?

That's not all it does, but it is a key feature. You will also experience realistic CN clouds and cloud coverings. To that point, you can literally see a storm moving in and visually navigate between and around dangerous CN clouds. Also, to be clear, you don't load the texutres during flight. The software will do it for you. Once you initially configure ASCA, you never have to touch it again. AS16 will automatically launch and close ASCA for you. All of these features are currently beyond REXs capabilities.

Matt King

Sounds great. But the textures will come from ASCA then and I won't be able to use REX for textures?