Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

XtremePrototypes Classic GLJ 25 SE Review

I'm no Ray Marshall, but here's some quick text and 20 screen shots from P3D v3.3 of the really incredible XP Lear 25D!  I wasn't sure after looking at their site (shots don't do it justice!) but I purchased, and read the entire manual, and set out for a cold and dark startup, followed by a departure from Duluth to a VFR climb, and then finally went high for FL450 with some 40+ kt tailwinds for 500+ kts over the ground.

If you don't like reading, but you're ok with analogue bizjets (the GTN750 will fit in the panel I'll put the mod here I made), this is the bizjet to own guys!

I wish I took notes, but I love the sounds, the VC clickability/systems/ operation.  I enjoyed the flight model, the handling, the graphics inside and out.  It's not quite C quality but it's darn good!  Analogue gauges look pretty lifeless to me (I've been in a lot of planes with them) and the modeler nailed the look and tight squeeze of the early Lear cockpits!

I had hoped for 3D VC GTN integration, and while the 2d mod requires a little trial and error, I was able to get a nicely sized GTN750 into the allowed space.  A 650 might fit perfectly below (I don't have one yet!)

A few notes about the screenshots.  I HATE HDR in P3D so it's disabled.  Instead, I do a little post HDR edits with my shots - most of the cockpit shots are brightened so you can see the instruments well enough.  In FSX it will be more visible I think.  (Or if you have HDR enabled in P3D).  Also some things I learned as I flew so the true jet jockeys will find some things out of place, and probably some things lit on the annunciator panels that shouldn't be lol.  But I did fly pretty much per the manual but with a light load.

A few quick numbers from memory.  Climbout is at 90% (could be 80 shoot can't recall now) on the engine rpm gauge, and again with a light load, I was initially climbing out at 250 kias for about 3000-4000 fpm.  Later I climbed at mach .70 for around 2000-3000 fpm till the lower 30's.  Into those and higher I did around 1500 fpm and around 1000 passing FL400 up to 450.  Cruise at 450 about Mach .81 / 470 KTAS.  Fuel flow I didn't check (it is mentioned in the manual and proper fuel planning is important if you're trying to be realistic!)  There are some charts for TO/Landing data but I didn't really find cruise power charts.  I did see V speeds and etc near the end of manual too.  Oh - the manual - VERY WELL DONE!  Illustrations galore - the checklists refer to the illustrations too!  I'd recommend copying the manual and renaming the new copy, so you can open two instances of the manual at once...  one for checklists and one for the illustration reference.

almost forgot:  GTN mod - First run the F1 gauge config for the Lear 25, then... find this entry in the panel.cfg and just use the line I have at the bottom.

[Vcockpit03]
Background_color=36,36,36
size_mm=1024
visible=1
pixel_size=1024,1024
no_luminous=1
texture=$GLJ25_02_G_C
//gauge00=Lear_45_XML!PFD,248,119,536,800
gauge00=F1GTN!GTN750,248,119,536,600,UNIT1.VC

Ok that aside, PICS!

Cold and Dark

Untitled-1_49.jpg

Is that an 8 track?  It really works - you can make .wav files and play them

Untitled-2_55.jpg

Climbout from KDLH - I literally left Duluth in my dust!  Initial climb rates around 5000 fpm hehe

Untitled-4_60.jpg

Untitled-5_43.jpg

A nice view and some maneuvering just below class A airspace

Untitled-7_38.jpg

Sexy!

Untitled-8_41.jpg

Untitled-10_33.jpg

Guts

Untitled-11_36.jpg

Untitled-14_19.jpg

Untitled-15_20.jpg

Tacky closeup - the modelling is high high quality

Untitled-17_13.jpg

My Office

Untitled-18_10.jpg

Another gauge closeup - I love it

Untitled-20_10.jpg

Instrument lighting option 1

Untitled-21_8.jpg

Inst and flood option 2 - you can have option 3 if you turn on cabin floods -adds a bit more brightness

Untitled-22_9.jpg

FL450

Untitled-23_7.jpg

Love the GTN 750 stats

Untitled-24_6.jpg

Back inbound KDLH RNAV (GPS) Ry 27 approach with LPV / acft is on glide path using GTN750

Untitled-26_2.jpg

Popup fog layer - totally typical for middle of summer in Duluth (really, I hate it, this happens all the time... marine layers argh)

Untitled-27_3.jpg

Rollout -bye bye!

Untitled-28_2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 11

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

thanks for taking the time to post your review.

very intriguing!

cheers

-andy crosby

Thanks Ryan, this one is a Classic.

Question: Can you place a GTN650 & a Weather Radar, or is the GTN750 the one option?

Ramón

I bet you could.  There's instructions in the manual on custom mods.  You'd have to trial and error it into place.  I don't have the GTN650 but I have the MV/REX Wx gauge

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Great review Ryan. Love how the GTN 750 fits perfectly. Also the 8 track is pretty cool. Ha

Thanks much for this.  Terrific review.  Haven't been much of a bizjet flyer but this one is really interesting.  The 8-track might just be the clincher!

• Upvote 1

Thanks Ryan, will have to look into this one. If you have the flysimware Lear 35 how does it compare in regards to flight model and systems.

Cheers

Martin

Amazing detail :smile: 

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Thanks Ryan, will have to look into this one. If you have the flysimware Lear 35 how does it compare in regards to flight model and systems.

Cheers

Martin

Unfortunately I don't have that one. I decided to not get it because of her texture look.

The fps are fine on my "dated" 2500k@ 4ghz

Thanks everyone for your comments

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Thank you Ryan!

I may try this one.

Greg

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

Thank you for the review - graphically very impressive & seems like you had fun flying her :cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)