Sign in to follow this  
G7USL

NGX for X Plane

On 6/5/2017 at 10:49 AM, Pro377 said:

I know about ixeg and their 737 but I would like the 800 and ixeg has told me they will not do the 800 or 900.

IMO that seems like a very stupid decision considering the number of people that have started looking in the direction of XP lately.

• Upvote 1

Richard Åsberg

57 minutes ago, WebMaximus said:

IMO that seems like a very stupid decision considering the number of people that have started looking in the direction of XP lately.

I'm kinda curious as to the source of this information. People keep making the claim, but I have yet to see any actual concrete numbers in defense of it.

• Upvote 3

Kyle Rodgers

49 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

I'm kinda curious as to the source of this information. People keep making the claim, but I have yet to see any actual concrete numbers in defense of it.

Whilst not scientific, the group I helped to create on Facebook dedicated to X-Plane 11 has grown to 5700 members in a little over 6 months. Many many of them have come from the FSX/P3D side of simulation. Having been in X-Plane for the best part of 6 years, I have never seen this level of uptake in the sim, even when the IXEG and PMDG DC6 were released. 

• Upvote 1

Jason E Row

Follow me on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonRowPhotography

3 minutes ago, yidahoo said:

Whilst not scientific, the group I helped to create on Facebook dedicated to X-Plane 11 has grown to 5700 members in a little over 6 months. Many many of them have come from the FSX/P3D side of simulation. Having been in X-Plane for the best part of 6 years, I have never seen this level of uptake in the sim, even when the IXEG and PMDG DC6 were released. 

Interesting, but anecdotal, and fraught with selection bias. I think a lot of the "this platform is so popular" mentions come from stuff like this and it just gets repeated. Have a look at the Steam stats. Granted, that's not a whole sample (doesn't include boxed FSX or non-Steam XPL), but it is relatively representative.

• Upvote 2

Kyle Rodgers

While I haven't gotten ANY scientific or empiric evidence of this statement, I'm fairly certain that the user base of X-Plane has increased...
Whether or not, they're coming from FSX/P3D or 'just' newcomers to the world of flightsimulation, is another question.

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

I don't have any numbers at all.

My comment is purely based on what I've seen and read lately in various forums, watching YouTube videos, seeing how other big players in the market releases lots of XP products etc. Players that hardly ever released XP stuff before.

After being within this community/hobby for many years it's not very hard to notice shifting trends and at least to me it's very obvious the interest in XP has increased.

Richard Åsberg

16 minutes ago, WebMaximus said:

I don't have any numbers at all.

My comment is purely based on what I've seen and read lately in various forums, watching YouTube videos, seeing how other big players in the market releases lots of XP products etc. Players that hardly ever released XP stuff before.

After being within this community/hobby for many years it's not very hard to notice shifting trends and at least to me it's very obvious the interest in XP has increased.

Hard not to notice, I agree, but I still question the assertion that it is as large as some would claim.

Kyle Rodgers

18 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Interesting, but anecdotal, and fraught with selection bias. I think a lot of the "this platform is so popular" mentions come from stuff like this and it just gets repeated. Have a look at the Steam stats. Granted, that's not a whole sample (doesn't include boxed FSX or non-Steam XPL), but it is relatively representative.

Knowing the demographic of my group I knew Steam uptake was fairly low so I did a poll. Here are the results after about 4 hours:

Direct Download from Laminar - 75

DVD from Laminar                    - 2

Direct Download from Steam.  - 8

DVD from Aerosoft.                  - 3

DVD from Others.                    - 2

Whilst I agree it is not entirely scientific you can roughly multiply the Steam figure by 10x to get a truer representation of take up. 

Jason E Row

From what I've seen with a VA I belong to is that while XP members seem to have a big say and post a lot about how popular it is less than 5% of flights are done with XP compared to 6% on FS9, 43% on P3D and 46% on FSX  over the last 12 months or so.

• Upvote 1

Rog Hanson

4 minutes ago, meadfoot said:

From what I've seen with a VA I belong to is that while XP members seem to have a big say and post a lot about how popular it is less than 5% of flights are done with XP compared to 6% on FS9, 43% on P3D and 46% on FSX  over the last 12 months or so.

Firstly a lot of VAs are not particularly XP friendly in terms of ACARS etc, especially for Mac users. Secondly XP11 has only been out six months or so, so figures over the last year are not exactly representative of X-Plane 11

Jason E Row

On 6/10/2017 at 9:35 AM, yidahoo said:

Firstly a lot of VAs are not particularly XP friendly in terms of ACARS etc, especially for Mac users. Secondly XP11 has only been out six months or so, so figures over the last year are not exactly representative of X-Plane 11

True, but from what I can tell, his point, though anecdotal, seems to echo what I've seen. The community is quite vocal, but I think they don't quite understand how small it really is, comparatively.

Kyle Rodgers

Interesting numbers... it's far smaller than I would have thought, I must admit.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

On 2017-6-9 at 2:39 PM, scandinavian13 said:

Actually, I  saw a very recent survey ( a month old at best) of PC simulations, broken down in all categories, flight, train ETC. Searched but cannot find it, it provides the concrete numbers you speak of. 

In the flight simulator section DSC world was number 1, X plane number two, and then FSX followed by P3D which had a small percentage compared to the rest. 

14 hours ago, Davidrebolton said:

Actually, I  saw a very recent survey ( a month old at best) of PC simulations, broken down in all categories, flight, train ETC. Searched but cannot find it, it provides the concrete numbers you speak of. 

In the flight simulator section DSC world was number 1, X plane number two, and then FSX followed by P3D which had a small percentage compared to the rest. 

I find that incredibly hard to believe, and would ask you for your actual source on this. I have a feeling that it is some random website with a very targeted crowd.

A lot of the surveys people push as "proof" aren't very well sourced. A lot of them do not have a representative sample for the whole sim community. As an example, a survey run on X-Aviation - a site targeted at X-Plane users - would not likely provide a representative sample of the simming community as a whole. Similarly, standing outside of a Target and asking "Walmart or Target" would likely have a biased, and improper, skew toward Target. Great for pushing the idea that people prefer Target, but if anyone were to take a look at the method behind the survey, they'd quickly toss it aside as flawed.

Just have a quick glance at the Steam stats for the two sims. While that isn't the whole community, I'd argue that it's a reasonable approximation. Additionally, it's not a simple response-driven survey. It's a survey driven by behavior, which avoid issues of response biases (like someone who prefers and has case upon case of Pepsi at home, but knows Coke is more popular and answers that they prefer Coke so as to not be embarrassed and fit in, etc).

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers