Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

What frustrates you the most about today's flight sims?

Share your largest pet peeve concerning anything with any of today's flight sims or flight sim hobby.

I'll start off...

For me, it is performance. Really wish I could crank the jaw dropping eye candy to max and never go below 30 fps, never have a single stutter and have no graphic glitches, in any situation.

• Upvote 5

I am mostly annoyed by OOM's in P3D and FSX when you load up a high end airport, full ORBX suite and a high end addon.  64 bit would be nice to remove this problem.  Performance is a bit of an issue I agree but mostly acceptable.  On the other hand, the number of very high end, realistic GA, Turbo Prop and Jet aircraft available is simply amazing.  We are living an a wonderful time of flight sim despite a few issues.

• Upvote 2

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

PIA's

Scenery addon incompatibility and lack of developer answers.

Popping scenery, autogen, floating buildings+runways, etc.

High End Aircraft freezing or causing CTD's

As for performance. I'm afraid I wont be around by the time they sell home supercomputers to handle all we can add to the Simulators, so have no mayor complains; as long as I keep sliders at bay P3D runs smooth as silk.

- Popping and morphing scenery

- Poor ATC

On the second point you might like to try PF3 :-)

Share your largest pet peeve concerning anything with any of today's flight sims or flight sim hobby.

I'll start off...

For me, it is performance. Really wish I could crank the jaw dropping eye candy to max and never go below 30 fps, never have a single stutter and have no graphic glitches, in any situation.

You can you need a 4k monitor - just picked up a samsung 40" wow the graphics are insane and you can turn all the AA settings down allowing to turn other stuff up - still getting colors sorted out but what a difference in performance smooth as silk - I am using FPS unlimited - at 60hz - you need a good 2.0 HDMI cable - dont go cheap on that as important as the monitor itself

Rob's been telling me this for the longest time and he is so right - you wont believe what the exterior of the aircraft looks like in 4k - wow

Rich Sennett

Also OOM for me.

Constant juggling act that is tiresome.

ATC is rank rotten also with it's US only voice sets and 18000ft trans alts worldwide and no SID/STAR. (I know you can buy addon programs but my pre flight is longer than my flights these days and I want some out of the box simple functionality and I don't want to use VATSIM.)

Time zones. (Have to fix with external program)

That feeling you get when you OOM on approach after a 2 hour flight and a 1 hour prep for flight........priceless.

Oh, and my favourite VA insists on 1x time, even on huge over water segments, zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Still, I love this hobby!

Absolutely performance and outdated graphics. I hope we would have a new sim that will be built from scratch and working like a background screen that reflects outside visuals at 60FPS and it is not affected by complexity of the aircraft being flown so we could fly complex aircraft such as PMDG, FSlabs that their simulation engine is independent from graphics engine but the two have interconnection to locate aircraft location, altitude etc.

Half-baked aircraft that are all eye candy, but are vacant when it comes to systems and flight performance.

• Upvote 2

I'll start off...

Many things come to my mind, I could say the limitations in flight models, the simplified atmosphere, the poor ATC, the limitations of the rendering engines, etc... But yes, you're right, If I really think about it, the most frustrating thing is the poor performance, the fact that even the fastest and most expensive PC can't get smooth 30+ fps if you crank all the sliders to the max and use those addons required to maximize realism.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

You can you need a 4k monitor -...... you wont believe what the exterior of the aircraft looks like in 4k - wow

I indeed use a 4k monitor. Certainly everything is beautiful and sharp vs my old 1080p but performance its the same old thing, slow with addons. Can't max out the settings by any means.

I indeed use a 4k monitor. Certainly everything is beautiful and sharp vs my old 1080p but performance its the same old thing, slow with addons. Can't max out the settings by any means.

So you have a 4k - here its way better in performance - going to crank some more stuff up as soon as i figure out why my terrain textures are so dark at dawn and dusk - hard to tell whats what - do a calibration and see if that helps but doubt it - are you seeing this ? open for suggestions

What 4k monitor do you have

Rich Sennett

- Poor ATC

This ^3

Anyone remember subLogic's Flight Assignment: ATP ? The ATC was far better than the stock FSX:SE 

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Poor ATC

Lack of good quality and up-to-date bush planes :P

Cheers :)

N.-