Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

What frustrates you the most about today's flight sims?

Stability and performance.

Even high end systems see only a fraction of the performance level with FSX and P3D (and X-Plane 10 64 to an extent), than you'd get with most typical PC games and simulations.

But a fundamental improvement in performance, requires a core engine change - that's why we're unlikely to ever see any staggering improvement in FSX (and perhaps P3D).    Some people think 64 bit is the holy grail for performance, but XP10 64 suggests otherwise!  I still feel I get relatively poor performance in XP10 64, for my system spec.

• Upvote 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

OOM's! Plain and simple. I actually think FSX/P3D looks spectacular with modern sceneries and aircraft. Just look at some of the screen shot forums. My sim is gorgeous and I couldnt ask for much more in terms of visuals. I have even managed to get performance to 30FPS stable and I am happy with that now.

But the Out of Memory errors which show up and cause crashes on approach and 8 hour long hauls with a failed attempt at getting to the gate or on the ground, is the more immersion breaking feature I still resent. Turn settings down to the point where the sim is hardly as gorgeous, and you still get them. Its almost as if we have come too far with such an old platform. It has buckled under its own weight. 

• Upvote 2

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

I wish AI airlines would follow proper SIDs and STARs with proper ATC separation. I am tired of default vectors

Matthew Kane

Unless some development begins anew now that will take full advantage of the CPU and GPU power that is 5-10 years out, this hobby will surely die off. Sub 60 frames or micro stuttering will send people packing. Take Skylake plus 4-5 generations, same for Nvidia, fire up your sim with what you want installed and settings you like. Will you stick around if the same problems persist. Not me. I'm saying that we need a completely new simulator by that point. No more legacy code. I think that the only entity that can pull it off at this stage is LM.

• Upvote 2

James McLees

I'll name a few. In my opinion (yes, I'm sure some would agree and disagree):

-Certainly the balancing game of visuals, stability, performance, and VAS nowadays. And the fact a lot of my most beloved add-ons will likely no longer work once new platforms come out.

-Poor customer service and support with some add-ons, certainly multiple times (some recent) where basically I felt swept under the rug now that some companies have my money (not going to name names)

-Along those lines, products with blatant shortcomings and bugs that go ignored for whatever reason (maybe including laziness?), and are spun to be the greatest add-ons in the world which are simply empty bodies hiding behind the shell of eye-candy. Sure, there's an audience/market for those type of add-ons with some simmers, but at least be honest about it.

-Deteriorating quality of online networks, both pilots and ATC.

Positively still love the hobby though.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Half-baked aircraft that are all eye candy, but are vacant when it comes to systems and flight performance.

FS Labs Concorde has eye candy but impressive systems and a flight model real Concorde pilots were impressed with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3e5i6SGOtA

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

AES.

Otherwise I am very happy with my sim.  :wub:

What?

FS Labs Concorde has eye candy but impressive systems and a flight model real Concorde pilots were impressed with.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3e5i6SGOtA

There are absolutely many enjoyable add-ons that get modeling, visuals, and systems right...or is that a product plug? lol

What?

AES. Airport Enhancement Services. It is an addon for the sim. Support for this software is so painfully slow I find it very frustrating.

But otherwise my sim FS9.x no complaints...I love it. 

• Upvote 4

You can you need a 4k monitor - just picked up a samsung 40" wow the graphics are insane and you can turn all the AA settings down allowing to turn other stuff up - still getting colors sorted out but what a difference in performance smooth as silk - I am using FPS unlimited - at 60hz - you need a good 2.0 HDMI cable - dont go cheap on that as important as the monitor itself

Rob's been telling me this for the longest time and he is so right - you wont believe what the exterior of the aircraft looks like in 4k - wow

I wonder how well my 980ti would run two of those along with the 1080p projector ...

This^2.

PilotEdge. As real as it gets.

BasementFlyGuy

GA home cockpit running X-Plane 11 (and sometimes P3D)

Blog: www.ontheglideslope.net

YouTube: OnTheGlideslope Channel

Facebook: On The Glideslope

Never had an OOM in FSX so I can't relate to that.

My only thing that I wish for is a more dynamic weather and atmospheric implement. AS16 and ASCA help but I still wish the scattering and sky looked and felt more alive.

The second thing I wish for better AI handling and behavior. I can live with the ATC, although not great it doesn't bother me too much, but AI behavior is really bad and even worse if you have a poorly designed AFCAD.

Lastly, I wish we could always get 30 plus FPS regardless of how high we cranked up settings. I can usually manage 25 or better in dense areas in PMDG aircraft and complex airports and is usually smooth, but I have to make some concessions in settings.

Aside from that I love FSX and don't have any real issues with it.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

AES.

Otherwise I am very happy with my sim.  :wub:

Yes. .. AES not working with FSX SE is very aggravating.

spacer.png

Yes. .. AES not working with FSX SE is very aggravating.

Add me to that list.

Performance vs graphics. P3dv3 isn't bad looking but it doesn't hold a candle to modern games that look better like Need for Speed ect. Then the performance of flight Sims is very poor compared to Modern games that look much better with the exception of Xplane which looks pretty good and runs good even with heavy payware

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.