Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

What frustrates you the most about today's flight sims?

Apart from the usual graphics and performance frustrations, my main gripe goes to the lack of expandability of the ESP engine.

1. Custom ground polygons must be written using FS2002-style SCASM code.

2. There is no way to recreate switch and lever sounds without using a custom .dll gauge.

3. Turboprop engine start timing sequences can't be modified because the start animation is built into the .mdl file.

4. Again, in turboprops, the propeller doesn't start turning until combustion starts, which is unrealistic, especially for a free turbine like the PT6.

5. Flight dynamics have limited functionality and proper spins are very hard to come by.

6. Default GPS nav data is set to what it looked like in 2005-2006 and it's locked there. There is no way (as far as I know) that a user or 3rd party dev could completely overhaul the sim's native navaid, waypoint, airway, SID/STAR and approach databases.

7. Stock airports cannot be deleted or given a different ICAO code.

8. Airports must lie on an airport flatten polygon unless the dev is willing to spend time modelling each undulation of the surfaces.

Don't get me wrong, I love flight sim (I'm using P3D3 right now). However, compared to other current game technologies (just look at how the cityscape looks like at sunset in GTA5, and all this presented to you in 60+fps!), flight sim tech leaves a lot to be desired.

• Upvote 2

For me it would have to be OOM, that's at the top of my list. If that problem alone was completely resolved, I'd be extremely happy.

The other stuff would be texture loading and popping in, this really takes away from the immersion. The inconsistent runway lighting and how at some airports the lights seem to be floating and not connected to the groud.

The limited 32bit VAS which in turns limits the sim visually, such as panning around the scenery and then back to a heavy add-on scenery or airport will show up black as it continues to load in the textures. Another eyesore.

• Upvote 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

The ground friction model

Lack of rwy slopes and states

FSX can easily get 60+ FPS without add-ons on today's computers. 

But then what's the point? It's ugly without add-ons.

• Upvote 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

When you compare the performance of FSX to a different game, you should do a GTA V stock install to a FSX stock install. Not a GTA V without addons to FSX with addons. 

There are absolutely many enjoyable add-ons that get modeling, visuals, and systems right...or is that a product plug? lol

More a recommendation than a plug. :wink:  I'm just a beta tester - I don't benefit financially from any sales. I just wanted to point out the excellence of the aircraft which is definitely wheat, not chaff. :smile:

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

But then what's the point? It's ugly without add-ons.

Most visual add-ons don't have much impact on the framerate on modern computers, and most non-airliner add-on planes don't either. With airliners I agree that 30 FPS is ok.

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

Does this include P3D v3?

Apart from the usual graphics and performance frustrations, my main gripe goes to the lack of expandability of the ESP engine.

1. Custom ground polygons must be written using FS2002-style SCASM code.

2. There is no way to recreate switch and lever sounds without using a custom .dll gauge.

3. Turboprop engine start timing sequences can't be modified because the start animation is built into the .mdl file.

4. Again, in turboprops, the propeller doesn't start turning until combustion starts, which is unrealistic, especially for a free turbine like the PT6.

5. Flight dynamics have limited functionality and proper spins are very hard to come by.

6. Default GPS nav data is set to what it looked like in 2005-2006 and it's locked there. There is no way (as far as I know) that a user or 3rd party dev could completely overhaul the sim's native navaid, waypoint, airway, SID/STAR and approach databases.

7. Stock airports cannot be deleted or given a different ICAO code.

8. Airports must lie on an airport flatten polygon unless the dev is willing to spend time modelling each undulation of the surfaces.

Don't get me wrong, I love flight sim (I'm using P3D3 right now). However, compared to other current game technologies (just look at how the cityscape looks like at sunset in GTA5, and all this presented to you in 60+fps!), flight sim tech leaves a lot to be desired.

spacer.png

More a recommendation than a plug

This confused me since the thread title says what frustrates you the most about todays sims?   so I guess the concorde  frustrates you than :wink:

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

My list is similar to everyone else's with CTDs and OOMs being at the top of the list.  There's not much more frustrating than planning an entire flight only to get a cold stop along the way. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

As someone who started simming in the Bruce Artwick days, the thing that frustrates me most about today's flight sims are the people that are constantly complaining about them. Frankly, we have never had it so good.

• Upvote 2

Jason E Row

Follow me on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonRowPhotography

This confused me since the thread title says what frustrates you the most about todays sims?   so I guess the concorde  frustrates you than :wink:

I was responding to a post about some aircraft being all eye candy but without substance. But having read all the posts you probably knew that.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Right now it's scenery incompatibility caused by a certain developer. =@

Lack of a 0.6m per pixel consistent texture quality and colouration upgrade version of PlayHorizon VFR Photographic Scenery England & Wales.

Lack of decent high quality photoscenery of Northern Ireland.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png