Sign in to follow this  
maukro_1990

Which panel state you are using?

Hello PMDG-Lovers. 

I´ve got just one little question: Which panel state you are using if you start a flight with the 737 NGX or T7? I mean, starting an aircraft from cold and dark everytiime is kinda unrealistic. If i would be a pilot in real life, which systems are on in my aircraft if i enter the cockpit? 

I hope you know what i mean. 

I start with the default short turn and modify it to suit my preference, and save it with name GAP (Ground Air Power).  This panel state is what I imagine you leave the aircraft in at the gate at the end of a flight so it is what I want when I begin a flight.  On the chocks, ground power and air conditioning (not start air).  INS is off, packs off, etc. Cabin and cargo doors open.  I also turn off recirc fans and IFE power, and leave the power panel switch in the ground position and set payload to zero for next boarding.

Dan Downs KCRP

I start with the default short turn and modify it to suit my preference, and save it with name GAP (Ground Air Power).  This panel state is what I imagine you leave the aircraft in at the gate at the end of a flight so it is what I want when I begin a flight.  On the chocks, ground power and air conditioning (not start air).  INS is off, packs off, etc. Cabin and cargo doors open.  I also turn off recirc fans and IFE power, and leave the power panel switch in the ground position and set payload to zero for next boarding.

Ah, ok. But why you did not leave the IRS aligned after you leave the cockpit for the next crew? Can you show me a picture of your overhead panel (ngx) ?

The IRS is reset each flight.  Follow the shutdown procedure in the Normal Procedures section of FCOM pg NP.21.82.  Use GRD POWER, CAB/UTIL left on, IFE off, recirculation off, pack off.  Everything else per procedure.

Of course the "as needed" items vary between operator and turn times.

Dan Downs KCRP

A special panel state that none of you have, but will soon want...  :ph34r:

Kyle Rodgers

When parked at the Gate, does a plane such as the 777 run on APU power or ground power?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

When parked at the Gate, does a plane such as the 777 run on APU power or ground power?

Depends on how long it's going to sit. If it's more than about 30min to an hour (depending on the operator, and location...some airports limit the amount of time you can use the APU), it goes on GPU and the APU gets shut off to save on fuel and reduce noise. If it's absurdly hot or cold, the gate air may not be enough, so the crew might fire up the APU to get the cabin ready a little earlier prior to dep.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks for the info! :)

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Sounds interesting, Kyle^^. 

The IRS is reset each flight.  Follow the shutdown procedure in the Normal Procedures section of FCOM pg NP.21.82.  Use GRD POWER, CAB/UTIL left on, IFE off, recirculation off, pack off.  Everything else per procedure.

Of course the "as needed" items vary between operator and turn times.

Thank you! I red all the manuals but i´m a little bit confused now^^. I followed the shutdown procedure but reseting the IRS is not included in this procedure. Or is it possible to follow the "secure" procedure after every flight an leaving the cockpit? But if i would stay into the same cockpit for starting a return flight, for example, is it not needed to follow the shutdown procedure? 

You are still going to reset the IRS, this is normally done by switching from OFF to NAV (FCOM 11.20.5). During turnarounds with short ground times there is an option for a fast realignment by selecting ALIGN (11.20.6).  I'm sure the fast alignment is sufficient but a full alignment only takes 5-17 min.

Dan Downs KCRP

Normally, I start with a panel state I made myself - started from cold and dark and ran the Electrical Power Up procedure (FCOM SP.6.1 for the NGX, SP.6.2 for the 777), then saved it. Then I can just load that start at the Preliminary Preflight Procedure and go from there.

Especially with the NGX I like to string several flights together and so then I'll usually just save the state and shut the sim down at the point where the real-life pilots would get up and go find some crappy fast food in the terminal.

Did you replace the painfully annoying beeping in the 777 with "Good morning, Kyle"? 

Especially with the NGX I like to string several flights together

That never worked for me in FSX and I tried it once after moving to P3D with uncertain results. Finally did a back to back pair of flights in the B736 NGX in the same session the other day so it is possible. Maybe the trick was this time I let the aircraft go to cold and dark...., it was a BBJ scenario so we're not at a gate but on the ramp and it is empty for a couple hours.

Dan Downs KCRP

Did you replace the painfully annoying beeping in the 777 with "Good morning, Kyle"? 

haha - no.

If I did something like that, it would be some kind of reference to "Dave..."

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

I like to find my cockpit like I left it a day before.

That's the reason why I'm using "Previous Flight" as my standard panel state.

I had set it up once via the FMC to start every flight automatically with that panel state and it's working well   :wub: