Sign in to follow this  
Gridley

What can I use a surface pro 3 for in FSX:SE over home network?

Hi all,

I've recently inherited a surface pro 3 that I've got on my Windows 10 home network.  I should be able to something cool with it in FSX:SE, no?  I was thinking moving map, flight planner, maybe radio stack.  I just don't know what's out there and what's good that will add to realism.  

Suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

As long as it runs Windows and can access the network.. Sure...

Plan-G is a decent freeware moving map, VFR flight planner.  It recently lost access to the Mapquest maps, but can still use OpenStreet Maps.  

SimLauncherX is similar, but with more features, but also (IMHO) a bit cluttered.

Both can display radio stacks and gauges.

On the payware side; Most weather engines can be ran on a networked machine, but I don't know about ASN for FSX:SE.

I also run SimPlugins Panel Builder on  a second machine to display the gauges.

There's more, but that will get you started.

BTW, if you choose to utilize a second machine, do some research and reading on SimConnect because that is where more users have connection issues.

Ernie

• Upvote 1

Ernest Pergrem

Thanks Ernie. I'll check plan-G. I'm hoping to be able to take advantage of the touch screen for added input.

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

With another machine, you can run something like the Aivlasoft EFB. It works well on a home network, and you don't need to worry about simconnect.

Otherwise, you can run something like Active Sky Next or Plan G, but as was mentioned, you need to set simconnect up.

Last thing, you can use a second machine as a some sort of FMC, there seems to be apps/programs which work that way....

Visit my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/Captain Nav

Follow me live on Twitch http://www.twitch.tv/captainnav

Also useful - use that tablet as your "Jeppesen" manual - for your airport plates and route charts. I run an iPad with SimPlatesX by a company called Dauntless. Also a Windows version. There is a purchase fee but I think it is free updates for life after that, so you always have current plates and charts. Worth every cent and has become an essential part of my simulator.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Thanks!

SimToutchPlus2 is an addon design for a touch panel. and it has everything.

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

SimToutchPlus2 is an addon design for a touch panel. and it has everything.

Now THAT looks cool - checking it out now...