Sign in to follow this  
FlightHopeful

Can't launch FS9 on Win10

Hi

Just installed FS9 (original disks) on my  Win10 computer but it won't run . Have Disk 4 in the drive, have followed most of the instructions here (

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/837195)  upgraded to FS9 to version 9.1, changed the Documents location back to defaut, created a Flight Simulaor Files folder, One recommendation is rebuild the FS9.CFG configuration files   BUT   no matter how I search, I can't find this file. 

When I try to launch FS9, I get an admin message :Do you want this app to make changes to your PC"  . I click yes, and then nothing. Doesn't even try to access the CD. All suggestions gratefully welcome. 

OK, I've turned on show hidden files. Still can't find it. It's supposed to be in Users\YOUR NAME\App Data\Roaming\Microsoft\.  There is is a Microsoft folder, but only other folders inside it -- no file FS9.CFG

Download 'Everything' From www.voidtools.com. It's a desktop search engine that is super fast and finds things as you type. I've been using it for many years.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Your situation has come about because of a recent Microsoft update almost certainly. The page you were viewing is old and does not include the update issue. Just google something like 'FS9 admin message' and you should find how to solve your problem.

Mark Daniels

We are not allowed to talk about the alternate FS9.exe that you must find for things to work. Run as Admin as well! 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

And the correct answer is...... the alternate FS9.exe that no one is allowed to talk about. After installing she-who-cannot-be-named, FS installed. Then the screen went blank. But I remembered coming across a reference here (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/microsoft-flight-simulator-issue-after-windows-10/0b2e3bca-7977-4ef1-ad2a-3c3edbd47c82?page=2&auth=1) on a Microsoft communitysite that FS doesn;t like to run in full screen mode. So I pressed ALT+Enter and the desktop appeared with the "Getting Started" screen. So hopefully I can fly! (after memorizing the training video....). 

Thanks for your suggestions. 

Now hopefully my old copy of Combat Flight Simulator 3 runs..,..

Jay in Toronto

Hmmm... when I tried to play one of the videos I got this message: "“a problem caused the program to stop working correclty. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available”

.....however, the Simulator itself works. 

Hmmm... when I tried to play one of the videos I got this message: "“a problem caused the program to stop working correclty. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available”

.....however, the Simulator itself works. 

If you are meaning playing the videos from within FS, they will crash the sim under newer operating systems. You can play the videos by accessing them in your FS installation and using likely most media players. Can't recall where the videos are located, browse your FS installation, shouldn't be hard to find.

Mark Daniels