Sign in to follow this  
Gary Shannon

Newbie fail trying to install RealAir SF260 For FSX-SE

I downloaded the RealAir SF260 as suggested in this post: http://www.avsim.com/topic/493589-sim-and-aircraft-advice-for-a-newbie/

I clicked through the installation process, and everything said it installed successfully, but when I go to the aircraft selection screen in FSX-SE the SF260 is not present in the list. There are no FAQs on the RealAir page, so I don't have a clue what to do next.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Do you have your Aircraft Selection Page set up to show "All Variations",  All Mfgrs", All Publishers", and "All Aircraft Type"?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Do you have your Aircraft Selection Page set up to show "All Variations",  All Mfgrs", All Publishers", and "All Aircraft Type"?

Yes, just as the installation instructions stated.

Have you checked that SF260 folder is in your Simobjects/Airplanes folder?  If it's there and you open it does it have a Model, Panel, Sound, and Texture folder along with the .air file and aircraft.cfg?  If you open the panel folder does it contain a bunch of files or just a .cfg file that aliases another panel?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Have you checked that SF260 folder is in your Simobjects/Airplanes folder?  If it's there and you open it does it have a Model, Panel, Sound, and Texture folder along with the .air file and aircraft.cfg?  If you open the panel folder does it contain a bunch of files or just a .cfg file that aliases another panel?

When you say folder SimObjects\Airplanes, which one do you mean. I have:

AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\simobjects\airplanes which does not contain a folder sf260

Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes which does not contain a folder sf260

Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FS\RealAir\sf26007  <---not in SimObjects

Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FS\SimObjects\Airplanes\RealAir SF-260 Left Seat

Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FS\SimObjects\Airplanes\RealAir SF-260

So there are three different folders called "SimObjects\Airplanes"

I'm confused.

Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FS\SimObjects\Airplanes\RealAir SF-260

Check out this folder!  Dang steam stuff can be complicated!

Charlie Aron

Check out this folder! Dang steam stuff can be complicated!

Yes, that folder has many folders for Model, Panel, Sound, Texture (several variations), everything I would expect to see in such a folder.

I even copied that folder into ...AppData\Roaming\Microsoft|FSX\simbojects\airplanes\ But that didn't solve the problem either.

Finally, I copied the folders from ...steamapps\common\FS\SimObjects\Airplanes to ...steamapps\common\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes and that solved the problem

I wrote to the RealAir support email with a full description of the problem and what I did to fix it. I guess we'll see what they have to say. Apparently their installer doesn't know how to play well with Steam Edition.

OK, sounds like you got it going!  I suspected that the installer was not meant for Steam applications.

Charlie Aron