Sign in to follow this  
vector

Availability of charts

A couple of years ago I decided to "freeze" sim time to July 2014 by updating and synchronising my Navigraph data and aeronautical charts as of that date since downloading charts for the whole of Europe was a very time consuming exercise and I didn't want to keep on doing that.

However, I recently needed to get some up to date aerodrome and approach charts for France and Germany only to find that their appropriate authorities no longer provide them free - you have to buy an annual subscription.  Fortunately I was able to download charts for the whole of Europe two years ago completely free and this has turned out to be very fortuitous indeed - lucky me!!

Has anyone else noticed this?

Dijvid

However, I recently needed to get some up to date aerodrome and approach charts for France and Germany only to find that their appropriate authorities no longer provide them free - you have to buy an annual subscription.  Fortunately I was able to download charts for the whole of Europe two years ago completely free and this has turned out to be very fortuitous indeed - lucky me!!

This is simply not true. The charts for France and Germany are still available for free online from their respective authorities or from (the easy way) Eurocontrol. You will find most (if not all) of the European charts on Eurocontrol for no charge. You must register and use their tools for search and display. Most other nations make their charts available from their own repositories as well, Mexico being an exception due to interdepartmental bickering.

DJ

This is simply not true. The charts for France and Germany are still available for free online from their respective authorities or from (the easy way) Eurocontrol. You will find most (if not all) of the European charts on Eurocontrol for no charge. You must register and use their tools for search and display. Most other nations make their charts available from their own repositories as well, Mexico being an exception due to interdepartmental bickering.

DJ

Maybe you're right - I don't know.  All I do know is that I have gone onto Eurocontrol's website and cannot find any way to free access of aerodrome charts and approach plates for France.  Also, I don't seem to be able to find a place to register on Eurocontrol's website either.  I have, however, found a couple of other websites giving a list of French airports/airfields and the charts available for them but when I try to access the charts they take me to a now redundant French SIA website with the 404 error.

Do you have a link to register on Eurocontrol?  If so then I'd be most grateful.

Dijvid

Many thanks for the link, Edetroit.  The list of charts available is somewhat [very?] limited but nevertheless useful to have.

Cheers.

Dijvid

All charts for All European contries are free on the Eurocontrol site.

http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadcms/eadsite/index.php.html

It really isn't that difficult to register. When you have click on "Enter Applications"

"OK" the "important legal notice"

Then click on Pams Light

Then in the box click on "Authority Code" and Search"

The pdf file you require will be displayed in a separate pop-up.

Charts on the Eurocontrol website are always bang up to date because all European aviation authorities are required to depost their charts with Eurocontrol. So anybody who says you have to pay is talking from their nether regions! In fact most European Aviation Authority web sites such as NATS in the UK link to them anyway so you might as well use Eurocontrol directly.

Thank you, vololiberista!

I have been looking here - www.eurocontrol.int/articles/ais-online - which I found through Google and which is clearly not the same as the link you have given me.

Anyway, your help is very much appreciated.

Dijvid

Thank you, vololiberista!

I have been looking here - www.eurocontrol.int/articles/ais-online - which I found through Google and which is clearly not the same as the link you have given me.

Anyway, your help is very much appreciated.

Dijvid

My link is the only one that allows you to log in to get the charts.