Sign in to follow this  
Mixer21

PMDG 777 Descend Path

So, I've recently got PMDG 777-200 and it's fantastic! But I have a problem with one thing. I don't get the descend path, until I fill out flightplan completely (STARs Transitions etc.) It's very troubling because my T/D is often before the last waypoint in the flightplan and I can't tune ATIS (because I'm still too far out) to check available runways. Is there any way to counteract this?

Any help would be much appreciated!  :smile:

until I fill out flightplan completely (STARs Transitions etc.) It's very troubling

Most of the time the route is completely entered into the FMC while still on the ground at the origin airport. If you are waiting until you find out from the ATIS broadcast the wind direction/speed to select a STAR and runway you will usually end up past your T/D. Keep track of the actual and forecasted airport conditions at this site - http://aviationweather.gov/metar?gis=off. Make cetain that decoded and TAF are selected.

If conditions are different than forecast, you can change the runway and STAR in the FMC or you could do a RTE COPY at the origin airport with a different STAR and runway for RTE 2.

What is already mentioned above. And don't worry about it being not realistic. I have seen sometimes in FS that the comm. ranges are a bit limited. In real life you can receive ATIS from about 180 nautical miles away. Giving you about 6 or 7 minutes to confirm you have the right STAR and runway entered.

Happy Landings ...

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777