Sign in to follow this  
Gazzareth

Updating Nav data and/or Magnetic BGL

If I am updating the NAV data for the NGX - is it better to also update the magnetic declination BGL file as well ? Or does it really make no difference....

Wondering about the pro's & con's of doing it !

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

I wouldn't update the magdev.bgl more than once a year.  Local airport variations are only changed at most every 3 years and usually much less often, and that is when a runway gets renumbered.

Dan Downs KCRP

Does updating magdev.bgl update the runway numbers, or just correct the heading?

G

Does updating magdev.bgl update the runway numbers, or just correct the heading?

G

Neither.  It corrects only the global magnetic deviation, which you would only notice if you compared a magnetic course to a true course. Runway numbers belong to the airport scenery. Only way to change them is to change scenery or create/modify an AFCAD file (unless the scenery uses ground textures as most payware do).  Magdev.bgl update doesn't change a VOR variation either.

Please note forum rules that require full names on all posts.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

Neither.  It corrects only the global magnetic deviation, which you would only notice if you compared a magnetic course to a true course. Runway numbers belong to the airport scenery. Only way to change them is to change scenery or create/modify an AFCAD file (unless the scenery uses ground textures as most payware do).  Magdev.bgl update doesn't change a VOR variation either.

Please note forum rules that require full names on all posts.

Cheers.

Full name's in the sig.

G

Full name's in the sig.

What is your first and last name and where is in the signature?

See this - http://www.avsim.com/topic/458101-guidelines-for-participation-in-the-pmdg-forum-please-read/. Set it up so that is done automatically. Click on your user name in upper right corner, click on My Profile, click on Edit My Profile, click on Signature, in Edit Signature enter your first and last name, click save and your name will be on all of your posts.

I would also like to needlessly remind you that first and last names are required to post on these forums. I make sure to remind as many people as I can that full names are required because it sends me on just enough of a power trip to make me feel superior to you. I am neither a moderator nor a staff member but I am more than willing to do their jobs for free because I have little to no control of anything outside of AVSim. Please also include a scan of your driver's license and/or passport for verification. Also, mail a stool sample and cut off a bit of your hair for drug testing. Rules are rules. I don't know how you could expect me to answer your very straight forward question without knowing your full name. We have standards here. Also, please dont make up a name. This is the internet and people that do that will be reported to the cyber police.

• Upvote 3

Also, mail a stool sample

I didn't know about that !

I apologize, it's on his way by ordinary mail - scan failed :(

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

I would also like to needlessly remind you that first and last names are required to post on these forums. I make sure to remind as many people as I can that full names are required because it sends me on just enough of a power trip to make me feel superior to you. I am neither a moderator nor a staff member but I am more than willing to do their jobs for free because I have little to no control of anything outside of AVSim. Please also include a scan of your driver's license and/or passport for verification. Also, mail a stool sample and cut off a bit of your hair for drug testing. Rules are rules. I don't know how you could expect me to answer your very straight forward question without knowing your full name. We have standards here. Also, please dont make up a name. This is the internet and people that do that will be reported to the cyber police.

Lol genius and so, so true.

In all seriousness though I don't understand why they are saying that the name isn't there, either they can't see the sig or are completely blind, clear as day to me in every post and PM I write. Bottom right of the image showing the NGX, been there since the NGX was released and I first came to this forum. Double checked it on other devices as well, it's still there just in case it's a permissions thing...

Can't say it's a rule I am fond of, but one I abide by.

G

Bottom right of the image showing the NGX

Since you know where it is it seems clear to you. Dan Downs and myself did not see it. It just king of fades into the scenery. Why don't you move it below the image of the NGX or change the color to a bright one. If it stays like that you will probably be asked for first and last name again.

Since you know where it is it seems clear to you. Dan Downs and myself did not see it. It just king of fades into the scenery. Why don't you move it below the image of the NGX or change the color to a bright one. If it stays like that you will probably be asked for first and last name again.

Not a problem, want to update the image anyway since I am now on p3d.

Regards,

G