Sign in to follow this  
schmeeling

PMDG737NG or LDS767 for shorter flights

Hi all,Typically I only have an hour or two aat a time to fly. I've been mostly using the ATR72 and B200 as they are "reasonable" for flights of 1-1.5 hrs.I would really like to get either the 737 or 767 to enjoy the systems modeling, but I can't extend my personal flying time any. While I won't come to any harm using a jet for hops, it does seem a bit unrealistic to use, say, the PMDG747 for these kind of flights. Clearly lots of airlines do 1hr jumps in 737's (Westjet?). What about the 767?Any advice or suggestions? I here the LDS has a great save system which perhaps would help.Thanks,

Guest jetBlue_83

FOr the 767, you might want to try GIG-GRU Sao Paulo to Rio De Janeiro. I know Continental uses a 767-400 on this route, after having been on it. The flight is little more than an hour, and South America is quite nice!

I'm in the same position as you, with little time beyond 1 to 2 hours. I use the flightschedules in Ultimate Traffic to find short-haul flights. If you want to fly in Asia, it shouldn't be too hard to find flights that are between 90 minutes and 2 hours long, done on the 747/767. ricardo

737 is more common for flights of 3 hours or less though 767s are occasionally used on high volume sectors.For example KLM uses them to London several times a day at peak times, and once in a while to I think Zurich, all from Amsterdam.But that's 2-3 767s a day versus 20 or so 737s on those same routes (plus another several dozen 737s and A319/A320 by other airlines).747s are also used on extremely high volume segments, mainly on internal flights within Japan. These are mainly 747D models though, not -400s.

Delta flys quite a few 767s on domestic US routes, including shorter segments from ATL to places such as MCO, MIA, and even LGA.You would have to do some looking, but it wouldn't be that hard to find real 767 flights between 1 and 2 hours long.

It depends on your budgetThe PMDG aircraft is not 'cheap' and you really should have the -800 amd 900 addon for full functionality. Once you have all the updates it is great to flyAs for the 767, ypu can download the current version over at flight one including all the patches and dont have to get any additional updates.Both are great for those short/medium hops.

Hello!I'm flying United tomorrow, Chicago to Washington Dulles, on a 767-300, on business, and I've made the trip from Chicago to DC (usually Reagan) on a 737. This is about a 90 minute flight. I've also made the trip to Dulles on a 777.I've also flown a 737 from ORD to PIT. So, yes, it's realistic to fly 737s on short, 60 to 90 minute flights - it's all about the airports you're flying from and to. I've found that airlines use regional jets on long flights (I've done MIA to CVG in a CRJ-200, for instance) depending on the level of traffic, not the length of the route.I've flown on Delta from ATL to MIA on a 767-300 also, so short flights are possible on that aircraft as well. If you want to be realistic, you just need to fly between cities that would logically have higher traffic volume. United flies 777s from ORD to IAD, DEN, and SFO - all of their hubs, and very short routes for that bird. Substituting a 767 for those flights would definately be realistic.Hope this helps!Mark

Mark Lam

Heck, United used to fly 737's from Denver (Stapleton) to Colorado Springs (COS), which was about a 20 minute flight. It was one of these that suffered the infamous uncommanded rudder roll and subsequent accident. I'm sure that they use CRJ's today, of course...I was on Delta's 767 flight from LGA to Atlanta last Sunday (first time on a 767), and it they filled the plane up, so I see why they use 'em on that route. Did feel like the flight ended too soon for such a huge plane, though.... :D

John G.

Guest bobsk8

My favorite flight length is 1.5 hours. I used to fly the 737, but now fly the Level D 767. Level D 767 even has a short flight option in the configuration setup. UPSVAC has quite a few flights of about 1.5 hours where the 767 can be used.

Delta used to fly the B76 on the KSLC-KDEN route at peak times (about a 1 hour flight). I'm not sure if they still do, but I often see their B75's departing KDEN on this route now- along with the MD80/90 equipment.Bruce.

Qantas also fly 767 on their Melbourne,Sydney,Brisbane runs. Short flights. Supposed to be the busiest corridor in the world. Anyone know what the buisyest is?#### my spelling.

I suggest You - before learning how to operate a plane please do us all a favor and learn how to spell....here = hear ....

And of course the reason CO used 764s on that route was because it was the second leg of a longer trip from the US, not a stand alone sector.That's like saying 747s are routinely used by KLM on short routes because they fly and/or TNCB-TNCC, TNCA-TNCC, and TNCC-TNCM among others, the shortest of which is only about 10 minutes.All those routes of course either terminate or depart originally from Amsterdam, adding another 10+ hours.