Sign in to follow this  
Manny

Water still sucks in P3D V3.3.5

I just took a flight from Bonair (Aerosoft Bonair airport)  mid  day and the ocean water was dead..it was flat... like a linoleum above 4000 feet..

I have tried REX and what not... it still sucks.. no where close to the FSX Water animation.

However, during dusk and Dawn, the water seems much more alive.. the problem is mid day. But the caribbean is meant for sunny flights. 

The reason I like to fly near Islands and ocean, is I can crank up the settings so high and still get reasonable performance (FPS). I love flying around Fly Tampa TNCM Princess Juliana or Bon air etc...But the ocean water just about kills me. It plain sucks... 

What do you guys do to improve the water? Any ideas how I can improve the water (Ocean in particular)? I like dark oceans with white crests.. kind of like what I got in FSX.

I want water like this

REX-001_pic6.jpg

Tim in the REX Forum has this in P3D and folks have asked him for his settings in P3D and REX but there is no reply.. this water looks very good

essodwater1.jpg

This is what I get/see. Those waves don't move.. its frozen..I am 3K  AGL.

29117825795_c8165cc625_o.jpg

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I don't think you can put the blame on P3Dv3.3.5. I have the same platform, and my results are similar to the first two screenshots above. Trying to find the problem in your system is not solved by just looking at your 3rd screenshot. To many variables to consider, that starts with your hardware, and ends with your addon settings. That 3rd screen looks so washed out, it seems like you have used a 3rd party tweaker assist like PTA. Most people like to tweak the hell out of P3D, but I think you shouldn't mess with the cfg file with the exception of one or two settings. 

• Upvote 1

Looks to me like that last screenshot, you have something else going wrong. Even the airplane looks weird. Although I agree that P3D water has always "sucked" and that's why I don't bother with it even though I bought it, have you looked at Poppets posts here regarding how to delete your shader files and Scenery Indexes? Take a look, search her posts here... it helps, but you are right that P3D Water sucks!! In general.

Mike.  

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

For starters the second shot looks like a custom scenery with custom water textures and water masking.  I think that means the textures are hand drawn for the reefs/shorelines and then the actual water spills onto them so it looks really nice.

Even in FSX I've never seen water like the first shot.

Here's TNCM with about the best look I could get using Time Preview.  If the sun isn't in the right spot you won't get the sun glinting off the sea.

When the sun angle is different (most of the time) you won't see the sparkling waves...  you'll see the second shot.

I'm using REX 4 I think

p.s.  third shot I just added - away from custom textures and into the big blue here's what I get!

tncmwater.jpg

tncmwater2.jpg

tncmwater3.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I just took a flight from Bonair (Aerosoft Bonair airport)  mid  day and the ocean water was dead..it was flat... like a linoleum above 4000 feet..

I have tried REX and what not... it still sucks.. no where close to the FSX Water animation.

However, during dusk and Dawn, the water seems much more alive.. the problem is mid day. But the caribbean is meant for sunny flights. 

The reason I like to fly near Islands and ocean, is I can crank up the settings so high and still get reasonable performance (FPS). I love flying around Fly Tampa TNCM Princess Juliana or Bon air etc...But the ocean water just about kills me. It plain sucks... 

What do you guys do to improve the water? Any ideas how I can improve the water (Ocean in particular)? I like dark oceans with white crests.. kind of like what I got in FSX.

I want water like this

REX-001_pic6.jpg

Tim in the REX Forum has this in P3D and folks have asked him for his settings in P3D and REX but there is no reply.. this water looks very good

essodwater1.jpg

This is what I get/see. Those waves don't move.. its frozen..I am 3K  AGL.

29117825795_c8165cc625_o.jpg

Try GLIMMER in REX 4 Direct for waves, and Medium Color-Pronounced Coral as well.  You also need the WATER setting graphic slider setting in P3D at the one below Ultra. THAT is very important to achieve the looks and expectations you require.

I'm interested in comparing water shots and settings in P3D to see if we can get the best looking water possible as well. Lets all compare water shots at TNCM and see if we can get it close or better than that reference photo.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I can make the water look darker if I remove my SweetFX ..but I have lost the animation of waves we got when we upgraded to V3.3 

I tried repairing the P3D client and that does not do it..

I loaded up my old PC and I can see the water animation on that P3D..Its little movement...but its there...but my current setup has no movement..its like the old V2.x

What if I copy over the entire P3DV3\texture folder from my old PC to here, would that fix it?

This is my REX Settings...

29102491266_9d0e3612ce_b.jpg

Manny

I can see water animation at very low level in P3D v3.3.5, but it stops very quickly as I rise above the ground. That's why I am currently using the default P3D water, because the texturing is more subtle (and therefore doesn't shout "static" at me through a foghorn).

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Should I select the DX11 optimized for the water?

Manny

I have that enabled, but I'm not convinced that it makes that much of a difference.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I can see water animation at very low level in P3D v3.3.5, but it stops very quickly as I rise above the ground. That's why I am currently using the default P3D water, because the texturing is more subtle (and therefore doesn't shout "static" at me through a foghorn).

I have a copy of the clean install of P3D V3.3.5 saved in another HD... I save it for such purpose..to recover any original files.. I know I keep doing stuff like this.. LOL :)

What folder or textures do I need to copy over from that...any ideas?

Manny

Anyone know how to remove all the REX Water textures and REX water animation files?  I don't trust my "recover from backups".  I want to go back to the P3D V3.3.5 default water files... Short of a full reinstall of P3D

Manny

If you want wind driven water/waves, you have to turn tessellation on and set the water to the maximum. Oh, and have some wind blowing, of course.

The default textures are the best option for water in P3D v3. In my experience, REX textures wreck the effects that you are after.

Check out this video of P3Dv2.5, by David McClean. This is how my water looks in P3Dv3.35. Note, I do not run my sim at these kind of settings on long haul flights, only low and slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am2j7DKFGgs

ps, jump to the 12:30 mark to start.

The default textures are the best option for water in P3D v3. In my experience, REX textures wreck the effects that you are after.

I agree.. now I am trying to recover from what REX has installed.

BTW the water animation works when we are very low.. I am talking water animation at 6000 feet or so.. You know sometimes when you have two photoscenery over another and as the aircraft moves, a  layer bleeds through just around the vicinity of the aircraft.. I feel there isa layer of dead/flat  water textures around the immediate vicinity of the aircraft.

• Upvote 1

Manny