So i run the 1440p ROG swift monitor which I LOVE for gaming, except for P3D. In P3D I use 2X SGSS via NVI, it looks ok but if I got with 4XSGSS in P3D in the clouds my FPS are awful. So I was thinking that if I go with a 4K monitor I wont need any SGSS, correct? Anyways if I go with a 28" ASUS 4K monitor will that solve my AA problems...I'm going to keep my ROG monitor and use it for the other games I play.

Here is the monitor I'm thinking of getting.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236617&cm_re=4k_monitor-_-24-236-617-_-Product

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

So i run the 1440p ROG swift monitor which I LOVE for gaming, except for P3D. In P3D I use 2X SGSS via NVI, it looks ok but if I got with 4XSGSS in P3D in the clouds my FPS are awful. So I was thinking that if I go with a 4K monitor I wont need any SGSS, correct? Anyways if I go with a 28" ASUS 4K monitor will that solve my AA problems...I'm going to keep my ROG monitor and use it for the other games I play.

Here is the monitor I'm thinking of getting.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236617&cm_re=4k_monitor-_-24-236-617-_-Product

I believe that monitor is going to take more hp to run it - look into a high quality 4k tv - 40" is way big enough - just picked up a 40" samsung - you have to have a quality 2.0 hdmi cable to run at 60hz - and a video card that runs hdmi 2.0 - my titan x does - if you dont have a card that does dont bother - this is the monitor I just bought a little less than 500 dollars

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-40-class-40-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-black/3953157.p?id=1219609307257&skuId=3953157&cmp=RMX

The picture is incredible and no longer need to run NI with SGSS - happy days - runs smooth with great AA

Now the bad finding it hard to find monitor settings that look good in P3D and in Windows desktop at he same time - taking me a quite a bit of time to figure it out - the biggest reason is I am using PTA which is making it hard to have a good balance between the two environments but will figure it out - my next approach will be to get my OS looking the way I want and then have to try different PTA profiles

Long story short - that asus imo is not the way to go - I have a 32" benq lcd monitor which is no slouch - I could never go back to it 

Go to YT  and watch a Rob A flightsim video in 4k or 4k test videos its simply amazing - hope this helps 

Rich Sennett

I believe that monitor is going to take more hp to run it - look into a high quality 4k tv - 40" is way big enough - just picked up a 40" samsung - you have to have a quality 2.0 hdmi cable to run at 60hz - and a video card that runs hdmi 2.0 - my titan x does - if you dont have a card that does dont bother - this is the monitor I just bought a little less than 500 dollars

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-40-class-40-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-black/3953157.p?id=1219609307257&skuId=3953157&cmp=RMX

The picture is incredible and no longer need to run NI with SGSS - happy days - runs smooth with great AA

Now the bad finding it hard to find monitor settings that look good in P3D and in Windows desktop at he same time - taking me a quite a bit of time to figure it out - the biggest reason is I am using PTA which is making it hard to have a good balance between the two environments but will figure it out - my next approach will be to get my OS looking the way I want and then have to try different PTA profiles

Long story short - that asus imo is not the way to go - I have a 32" benq lcd monitor which is no slouch - I could never go back to it 

Go to YT  and watch a Rob A flightsim video in 4k or 4k test videos its simply amazing - hope this helps 

Thanks, I'm running a 980ti ASUS Strix. I'll check out the TV's but why would it take more HP to run a 4K monitor than a 4K TV? I plan on getting something with 60hz.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

3840 x 2160 is still 3840 x 2160 regardless if it's on a 28in monitor or the 40in TV.  

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

So I was thinking that if I go with a 4K monitor I wont need any SGSS, correct? Anyways if I go with a 28" ASUS 4K monitor will that solve my AA problems..

Yes, I think you will have an excellent chance of not having to use SGSS with that monitor.

It's not that it is 4K but that it is a 28" 4K which gives you that very high pixel density you need to start reducing AA.

The bigger the screen, even 4Ks, the lower the pixel density and the greater the need to start upping the AA.

You should try your present screen with x2 DSR (to simulate 4K) and SGSS turned off and compare performance (frame rates)

with normal 1440p and x4SGSS.

gb.

• Upvote 1

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Thanks, I'm running a 980ti ASUS Strix. I'll check out the TV's but why would it take more HP to run a 4K monitor than a 4K TV? I plan on getting something with 60hz.

Not sure if there is a difference in hp requirements - your card will run 4K TV fine - your choice - do you home work

Heres a pretty good read

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2906385/4k-monitors-everything-you-need-to-know-about-ultrahd-pc-displays.html

Rich Sennett

Since getting a 4K TV (dedicated to flightsim use only) , I have had no issues at all with AA

Since getting a 4K TV (dedicated to flightsim use only) , I have had no issues at all with AA

what TV did you get, Im trying to find rich's TV in Canada but I cannot find it.

Ron Hamilton

what TV did you get, Im trying to find rich's TV in Canada but I cannot find it.

I believe the Samsung JU series is the 2015 model which might explain not being able to find it. I bought a 40" Samsung KU6300 (KU being the 2016 models) two weeks ago and love it. I wish I had upgraded to 4K sooner, and having all this screen space for P3D is amazing. Fellow forum member Dan Downs picked up a 40" Samsung KU7000 a few days ago and last I heard he's enjoying it quite a bit. 

One thing Dan mentioned to me was that he needed to buy a longer HDMI cable because the connections on the TV are on the right side and his computer setup is on the left side of his desk. Not a huge deal, but you may need to buy a longer HDMI cable depending on your setup. From what I've read the recommendations are to not go over 18'.

I believe the Samsung JU series is the 2015 model which might explain not being able to find it. I bought a 40" Samsung KU6300 (KU being the 2016 models) two weeks ago and love it. I wish I had upgraded to 4K sooner, and having all this screen space for P3D is amazing. Fellow forum member Dan Downs picked up a 40" Samsung KU7000 a few days ago and last I heard he's enjoying it quite a bit. 

One thing Dan mentioned to me was that he needed to buy a longer HDMI cable because the connections on the TV are on the right side and his computer setup is on the left side of his desk. Not a huge deal, but you may need to buy a longer HDMI cable depending on your setup. From what I've read the recommendations are to not go over 18'.

I picked the 2105 model because reviews stated the image quality is better and the glare is a bit less than the 2016 model - to much glare would bug the heck out of me  :wink: glare factor is pretty good

Rich Sennett

I picked the 2105 model because reviews stated the image quality is better and the glare is a bit less than the 2016 model - to much glare would bug the heck out of me  :wink: glare factor is pretty good

did you loose many FPS going to 4K?

Ron Hamilton

did you loose many FPS going to 4K?

Loose no - same but way better AA and able to turn more things up 

Rich Sennett

Loose no - same but way better AA and able to turn more things up 

Better AA without using SGSS, correct?

Ron Hamilton

Better AA without using SGSS, correct?

Yes no NI and SGSS thats the point - one thing I am having issue with is getting proper color settings in P3D - taking me quite a while to get the look I want - not as simple as it was on a pc monitor and PTA is making it more complicated but not using it is not an option 

Rich Sennett

Yes no NI and SGSS thats the point - one thing I am having issue with is getting proper color settings in P3D - taking me quite a while to get the look I want - not as simple as it was on a pc monitor and PTA is making it more complicated but not using it is not an option 

Do you run 60hz or 120? See Im using the ROG Swift 1440p @ 144hz and I dont think I could go back to 60hz, 120 I could handle tho.

Ron Hamilton