Sign in to follow this  
semiliner

FSX:SE Reccommend me a CPU!

Hi guys (and girls),

please take a moment and tell me which CPU should I get for my FSX:SE..something in upper price segment, tho not the highest..and lets make it an Intel.

Thank you!

In addition to a new, fast CPU, you may need to upgrade your motherboard, power supply and cooling system.  Just

something else to think about.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Charlie is right. If you don't provide a supporting cast the show won't be much improvement. Pay particular attention to motherboard and power supply.

Hi,

Get yourself a 6700, water cool and over clock it.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Your motherboard has the wrong socket for the 6700k. Wont work

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

Bummer...I'll have to vcheck and see what the best cpu I can get then thanks

For a 6700 you will need a Z170 board. I would personally look for a relatively cheap one from one of the major manufacturers such as ASUS, EVGA, MSI, and Gigabyte and make sure it allows overclocking. The price of DDR4 has come down significantly so get yourself a 16gb kit on some dual channel stuff (2 sticks or 4 are both fine). Those are the 3 components you will need. 

• Upvote 1

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

6700k with an Asus z170 Pro Gaming or ROG maximus viii hero will allow for some fun and easy over clocking. 4.6 is easy with that combo, possibly higher with a bit more voltage. Don't skimp on the PSU, EVGA Supernova is a great and reliable box.

I have the 6700 with the z170 Gaming pro and overclocking (professionally) and its FSX heaven. It is so much more fun now.

Hi...

Has anyone considered a LGA 2011v3 platform?

I'm trying to decide between:

1. ASUS X99-Deluxe II m'board + an i7 6850K + 32GB DDR4 memory

2. Asus Maximus VIII Formula LGGA 1151 + i7 6700K (4.0GHz) + 32GB DDR4 memory

These would match up with a custom water cooling kit (240mm radiator) and a Galax HOF GTX970 graphics card. Disks are NVMe PCIe drive + SSD

This is going to be my last system upgrade as I'm retiring and going onto as pension...

Thoughts would be appreciated...

Rob

---------------------------------------------

System: Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Master, i9-11900KF, EK Supreme water cooling, 32GB G Skill Ripjaws V F4-4000C 16D-32GVK DDR4, Asus GTX 3070, Gigabyte M34WQ + Asus MX27AQ monitors, WD SN850 1 TB M2 drive, Intel 750 Nvme 480 GB, Samsung 1 TB SSD, 3 TB + 4 TB HDD's, Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo, Thrustmaster TPR Pendulum Rudder, Saitek Radio panel..

1. ASUS X99-Deluxe II m'board + an i7 6850K + 32GB DDR4 memory

2. Asus Maximus VIII Formula LGGA 1151 + i7 6700K (4.0GHz) + 32GB DDR4 memory

The 6850 with 32Gb RAM is great choice if you also intend to do a lot of video editing, rendering or such like. If not, then the 6700k with 16Gb RAM is more than enough and would save you quite a bit of money. The 6700k has a higher base clock speed and seems to overclock slightly better but, at a similar clock speed, you're unlikely to notice much difference between the two.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit