Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Does using a 3rd party mesh increase VAS and slow down performance?

For those who use 3rd party meshes such as FreeMesh or FS Global, is there an increase in the amount of VAS that is used and will it affect your framerates?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I have FS Global and their Ultimate Americas and see no impact on VAS.  I cannot imagine why there would be a frame rate impact, but you can check for yourself by change the mesh resolution settings and note the minimal change.

Dan Downs KCRP

I would think that it would increase VAS because of the higher details. Would like to know first before installing any 3rd party meshes. Right now I'm not using any mesh products asides from the one that comes from ftx regions.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

My understanding is it will impact performance (more vectors have to be drawn), but the amount of the impact will vary from system to system. Generally speaking, it's not that bad, but if you have a system that is already struggling then you might want to stick with the default mesh.

As the lads already said, best is to give it a try. You can quickly and easily remove it if it's not to your liking.

My very best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Increase in mesh resolution increases the number of digital elevation points, which increases the number of triangles to draw, and consumes more resources. This continues up to a point where no more resources are spared for it amongst all the other stuff running in the sim. At this point the distance which higher detail is actually viewable in the sim approaches the viewer. In extreme cases mountains appear to morph into view too closely.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

FSGlobal will increase your sim load time by a noticeable manner.

Also you will run into elevation issues at some airports either with FSG or FreeMeshX.

But the joy of flying over mountainous areas will be unequaled.