Sign in to follow this  
JYW

Socata TB-9 and TB-10 from Just Flight released

After ten years working in this industry (my entire adult life!) I am very used to criticism :P

It's my sincere intention to give positive criticism. Thanks for your great cooperation and support!

This isn't something that I've come across. Can you try removing the four 'Glass...' dds files from inside \Airplanes\JF_Socata_TB20\texture (move them to another folder outside of FSX/P3D) and then check to see if you get the same problem?

Removing the file "GlassClear.dss" results in a completely clear (invisible) window. Maybe you can make the glass effect somewhat less obvious. It might also be a graphics card dependent effect (I am using a GTX660).

The aircraft has a total of 10 'digital displays', a very detailed model and large textures which will all impact upon performance but this shouldn't be an FPS heavy aircraft. We'll look into this.

Yes I am aware of this, but I observed something else in the meantime. While switching liveries, I got the message "SimConnect has failed to connect", resulting in an immediate large FPS increase (from around 30 to 80 in windowed mode; normally I run full-screen synch mode). The Simconnect connection seems to have a large impact.

Are you referring to the 'Autopilot master (on/off)' assignment or a different one? The autopilot master assignment is set up to control the KAP 150 engage button.

I'm referring to the "AP off" function in FSUIPC.

Felix

On a side note, the second greatest thing to come from this thread for me was the mention of the new Flight1 GNS units. The combination of holidays and not following every bit of FSX/P3D news so closely these days meant that I was totally unaware of this development.  A GNS 430 for P3D is going to be a quick buy for sure once there's some decent aircraft to place it into, the news that the TB-10 & 20 might be one of those is pleasing indeed!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I'm using "AP MASTER" in FSUIPC assignments (assigned to the red button on my Saitek yoke) and it's working here.

Worth noting that there are two (indepedent) "Autopilot master" buttons on this aircraft - the mechanical switch to the lower right of the yoke (which powers up the servos/circuit), and the AP ENG button on the KAP150 unit itself, which engages the AP.

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

I'm using "AP MASTER" in FSUIPC assignments (assigned to the red button on my Saitek yoke) and it's working here.

Worth noting that there are two (indepedent) "Autopilot master" buttons on this aircraft - the mechanical switch to the lower right of the yoke (which powers up the servos/circuit), and the AP ENG button on the KAP150 unit itself, which engages the AP.

Yes indeed, the "AP Master" switch via FSUIPC works and has the same function as the AP ENG switch on the AP unit (On/Off). The AP switch on the yoke however is just an AP disengage switch. This is the function I usually assign to my red button on my stick. But it does not work here.

Felix

Yes indeed, the "AP Master" switch via FSUIPC works and has the same function as the AP ENG switch on the AP unit (On/Off). The AP switch on the yoke however is just an AP disengage switch. This is the function I usually assign to my red button on my stick. But it does not work here.

Yes, I tested it and found the same Felix. The FSUIPC "AP OFF" command is not binded to the AP disc button.  However the AP MASTER does the same function, just being slightly less realistic in that it will also turn the AP on too.

Bill

A few notes and observations after flying it tonight for the first time - wrong platform (P3Dv3, not FSX), but since I've posted in this thread a bit already, why not. :smile:

- It looks pretty darn good from the left seat. :smile: A lot of seriously grey textures on the inside, but I'm thinking a bit of paint might cure that.

- Sounds are very nicely done, with lots of the little things having associated sounds. A bit more wind noise in flight than I'd expect, but if that's how it really is, then alright. It is an addon where I'd appreciate the feature of plugging in headphones to dampen the higher frequency sounds, however.

- Took a bit of extra calibrating and tweaking in FSUIPC to get my PFC yoke to actually apply any authority to roll and pitch. Usually I find aircraft to be a bit too twitchy, this seems to be the opposite. I'd expect it to be a bit lighter on the controls? But I'm not a pilot, and if they have TB-20 pilots testing it and giving it a thumbs up, I'll take their word for it. I wouldn't say it's the nicest hand flyer in my hangar, but it's completely livable.

- In regards to the GTN 650, I couldn't see that there was a popup window configured for it? I added one...

- I'd love to be able to get rid of the arrow in the top left corner. Couldn't close it, at least not on P3D.

- I'd like it if the choice of GPS was persistent. Simple to select it though, so not a big deal.

- I wish the pilot disappeared when the aircraft is cold and dark. I could be missing something, however.

- The EGT gauge stayed maxed out during flight. I haven't read the manual deeply yet though, so I may by doing something wrong.

- Clicking on the baggage door opens the pilots door. (Still impressed, however, that you are able to click on stuff outside the aircraft. Would be neat to extend that to chocks and tie-downs)

Overall, it seems like a very nicely done addon. Could be really excellent with refinement. I only flew it by hand, so I can't comment on all the autopilot stuff above.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Removing the file "GlassClear.dss" results in a completely clear (invisible) window. Maybe you can make the glass effect somewhat less obvious. It might also be a graphics card dependent effect (I am using a GTX660).

Yes I am aware of this, but I observed something else in the meantime. While switching liveries, I got the message "SimConnect has failed to connect", resulting in an immediate large FPS increase (from around 30 to 80 in windowed mode; normally I run full-screen synch mode). The Simconnect connection seems to have a large impact.

I'll ask our texture artist to investigate the glass effects.

Were you using the FPS counter that is built into FSX/P3D? If the SimConnect failure message appears, the counter will display the FPS for that message window rather than the main sim window, hence the very high figure. I thought I'd struck a eureka moment myself when that first occurred to me! AFAIK SimConnect doesn't have much impact on performance, depending on what code is being triggered by it of course.

TBH I have little understanding of how FSUIPC assignments interact with the simulator. We use SimConnect exclusively to intercept certain commands and link them to custom functions, e.g. autopilot toggle. FSX/P3D doesn't actually have an autopilot off assignment from what I can see, so I'll need to look into that and possibly speak to Pete Dowson about how to integrate those custom commands.

Martyn - Just Flight

- It looks pretty darn good from the left seat. :smile: A lot of seriously grey textures on the inside, but I'm thinking a bit of paint might cure that.

But if you compare this cockpit with aircraft pictures, you will notice that the JF version matches the real world aircraft very well.

- In regards to the GTN 650, I couldn't see that there was a popup window configured for it? I added one...

+1

- I'd love to be able to get rid of the arrow in the top left corner. Couldn't close it, at least not on P3D.

+1, same in FSX

- I wish the pilot disappeared when the aircraft is cold and dark. I could be missing something, however.

+1, but not an issue

Were you using the FPS counter that is built into FSX/P3D? If the SimConnect failure message appears, the counter will display the FPS for that message window rather than the main sim window, hence the very high figure. I thought I'd struck a eureka moment myself when that first occurred to me! AFAIK SimConnect doesn't have much impact on performance, depending on what code is being triggered by it of course.

I am using an external FPS counter. My impression is that the FPS of the sim window is actually increased a lot (in my case doubled), while the SimConnect message is just a green bar rather than a separate window. Any stutter tendency disappears. Might still be worth checking.

Felix

It looks pretty darn good from the left seat.   :smile: A lot of seriously grey textures on the inside, but I'm thinking a bit of paint might cure that.

Fifty shades of grey, very French! I'd love to see someone produce a weathered/worn version of the cockpit textures. If anyone is interested in that kind of project then I'd be happy to share more of the artwork source PSDs. Our aircraft is based on D-EPIM which had a very tidy cockpit. These aircraft don't get worn out like the usual training aircraft (152, 172, PA28 etc).

In regards to the GTN 650, I couldn't see that there was a popup window configured for it? I added one...

The pop-up entry and associated ini files will be added in the next version. Apologies for that.

I'd love to be able to get rid of the arrow in the top left corner. Couldn't close it, at least not on P3D.

The arrow should remain closed if you right click and select to close the window. That doesn't appear to be the case at the moment so I've fixed that for the next build.

I'd like it if the choice of GPS was persistent. Simple to select it though, so not a big deal.

The next version will save your preferences (GTN/GNS toggle, fuel pump/gyro toggle and engine management toggle). It will also save/restore your battery voltage like the oil and TKS fluid quantities.

I wish the pilot disappeared when the aircraft is cold and dark. I could be missing something, however.

The simulator has a weird issue when applying a visibility condition to an animated figure, however there is a workaround that I'll look into implementing.

(Too many quotes apparently...)

"The EGT gauge stayed maxed out during flight. I haven't read the manual deeply yet though, so I may by doing something wrong."

This should be addressed by an updated FDE that will be available shortly.

"Clicking on the baggage door opens the pilots door. (Still impressed, however, that you are able to click on stuff outside the aircraft. Would be neat to extend that to chocks and tie-downs)"

I'll look into that.

Martyn - Just Flight

So, my feedback is ovwewhelmingly positive, but there is one area I really dislike with these aircraft - the default supplied GNS430.  It's a lot lower quality than the rest of what is offered.  The display is very low resolution, muted colours, and the CDI selection between GPS/NAV rather odd and confusing.   Although I don't own the GTN650, I don't use the GNS430 either - just let's the immersion down.   I'm just flying VOR-VOR, using NAV2 at present.

...but really cannot wait for the GTN750 integration.

Bill

Martyn the speed and responsiveness to points raised here is excellent, good work and thanks :) K

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Martyn the speed and responsiveness to points raised here is excellent, good work and thanks :) K

That's wonderful news indeed! This aircraft is getting better and better. Thanks, Martyn!

Although I don't own the GTN650, I don't use the GNS430 either - just let's the immersion down. I'm just flying VOR-VOR, using NAV2 at present.

Why not get the great GTN650 as well? It has basically the same functions as the GTN750, but is a more likely equipment for small aircraft like this one. Besides, many attractive aircraft addons allow it's integration already and I am confident that there are more to come. Highly recommended!

Felix

Why not get the great GTN650 as well? It has basically the same functions as the GTN750, but is a more likely equipment for small aircraft like this one. Besides, many attractive aircraft addons allow it's integration already and I am confident that there are more to come. Highly recommended!

Just budget really.  I think I would rather put my budget to the forthcoming F1 GNS 430/530, than the 650.    :smile:

Bill

(Too many quotes apparently...)

Martyn, thanks so much for the detailed response to all of those items!! Some of those were pretty insignificant things that are influenced heavily by personal preference which of course makes your reply all that much more appreciated.  Looking forward to the next version!

Fifty shades of grey, very French! I'd love to see someone produce a weathered/worn version of the cockpit textures. If anyone is interested in that kind of project then I'd be happy to share more of the artwork source PSDs. Our aircraft is based on D-EPIM which had a very tidy cockpit. These aircraft don't get worn out like the usual training aircraft (152, 172, PA28 etc).

I haven't yet looked at the included paint kit, but I will be doing so sooner rather than later, since I need to make myself a Canadian registration for at least the TB-20. When looking online for C- paints, I saw a few various color combinations on the inside that have given me some ideas, so I'd be super interested in taking a look at the interior PSD's!  Actually, one that I saw had what looked like blue vinyl quilted padding on the rectangle outer portions of the panel surround, with a black / dark inner panel. Not that one could replicate the padding with a texture very well, but it looked really, really nice.

"Clicking on the baggage door opens the pilots door. (Still impressed, however, that you are able to click on stuff outside the aircraft. Would be neat to extend that to chocks and tie-downs)"

I'll look into that.

The pinnacle thus far for outside interaction with an addon has to be the latest Dreamfoil release for XP, the S300CBi. The blade tie system they implemented for it is amazing to use. Different platform of course, but the outside interaction already included in the TB-20 has me wishing for more!

Link to the video demo'ing the blade tie down interaction on the S300CBi.

But of course, not exactly a requirement for what's shaping up to be one of the better recent GA releases. More like simply wishing out loud. :smile:

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.