Sign in to follow this  
David Vega

Posting Your Age - 45

Fellow Flight Sim Enthusiast,What do you think about posting ones age as part of a post's title? Yes, I know this is an out of the box question, but let me explain. First, it's not about age discrimination; everyone, regardless of age, should be able to post anything subject matter related per the forum(s) rules. As you all know, we see all types of postings: questions, request for help, opinions, etc. Each poster comes from an age group that carries a style, expectations, almost like a protocol. Understanding that may best serve the posters and the readers. A 45yr old like me may missinterpret the meaning of an expression by a 13yr old sim fan. Conversely a 13yr old that grew up with computers may not understand the frustration of an old guy with something that may appear so simple to the young sim captain. And I'm sure there other examples. Adding your age to your posting title could give the freedom to the forum readers to continue reading based on title, or selectively focus or filter based on an age group. So, what do you think? I know we'll see postings from all age groups, and I'm sure each will have value. Dave Vega

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

hmm... dont really think it could be useful... I've seen 45 year old guys act like 15 year olds, and I know a 16 year old that acts like a 30 year old...

Guest mruane

Hi DaveThe problem with your approach is that you might then be tempted to skim over the responses from the "children". I am reminded of the age old adage "out of the mouths of babies". There can often be much wisdom in the minds of the young and I wouldn't want to miss that.PS 56 at this end but still 12 in the mind.

You may wish to cross post in Hangar Chat, since this topic is not MSFS specific.My own opinion is it does set up sometimes false assumptions and prejudices when age becomes a factor in evaluating topics/threads/posts. It could cause many with mature opinions to be ignored.I work with many members of Dreamwings, most of whom are half my age. Yet there's a maturity of experience there that shows in their work. But even I, knowing someone's age ahead of time, might disrespect their opinion out of hand not knowing who the person is--it's just human nature.So I say leave age off. Communicate to people based on the way they communicate to you--but don't put up barriers such as age. Next will be religion, political party--etc.... Litmus tests need not belong in our hobby...-John

Hello Mike,True, the temptation would be there for some. And conversely some of those babies could miss the wisdom from the old folks. I can see that as a risk. Thanks for your posting.Dave Vega

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

John,Thank you for the posting. There's that risk of ignoring a valuable gem, yes. And some, but not all, could disrespect other opinions based on their age, that could happen too. I'm sure some would like to be a fly on the wall during your discussions with Dreamwings, sounds very interesting. Didn't mean to suggest this as a barrier, but I can see how it can be interpreted that way. Regards,Dave Vega

dv

Hi - 12 here - believe that? - how about 65 - nearer the mark?The problem with asking people to post their age is that the Internet being very much an anonymous environment is a place for misrepresentation. One only has to look at the number of warped individuals that get busted, and rightly so, for predatory practices in chat rooms frequented by young people. I'm not suggesting for a minute that this forum would become a focal point for these starnge behaviours - just making the point that not everything is as it seems in the Net.Andy b

Hello Ol'man :)Isn't it a shame that something that was developed with such a noble goal holds such individuals. I can see how that could happen in this forum too. Appreciate your posting. Dave Vega

dv

Hello Ken,Thanks for your posting. Hope you're enjoying 17. 18 is going to be even better. Dave Vega

dv

Guest Captain Barfbag

I post my age every time - in a self-depricating signature that's automatically included with every post. Wait a minute - I haven't updated that signature for 2 years! Well, time marches on.At work, our engineers tend to be younger than me, more a reflection of the demographics of software engineering than anything else. We all enjoy the interactions with each other, and we all learn a lot from each other. Each of us has his or her own areas of expertise, and we all recognize the value of teamwork in our collaborative efforts. My technical "soul mate" is a young woman half my age, with whom I share a major in Physics from a tech school on the Charles River in Cambridge, Mass. It's amazing how similar our outlooks are on some things, and how different they are on others. (Last week, I had a dream about a rhinoceros. I mentioned it at work, and she had also had a dream about a rhinoceros that night. Weird.)

Stereotyping? My Assembly/C programming instructor was probably well over 50 and he was like a computer guru...so not all old farts are computer illiterate. Just an example.I don't think age alone would be very useful. Things like education, location (not all speak English as their native language which could lead to misunderstandings), income etc. would also need to be included :)I'm 20 by the way. I'm also Swedish so my grammar and spelling are totally messed up :-lol

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Hi Capt'n,"Turning stomachs for 55 years!"....I've always assumed that line was a reference to the plight of the unfortunate passengers who have flown with you!......lol!Therefore, I deduce your true age must be around 80...poster quickly ducks for cover }( Mike (Youthful 57 year old upstart) :-wave

"a tech school on the Charles River in Cambridge, Mass"Ah, I know that school... The University of Frick and Frack, the Tappit Brothers! :-lol