Sign in to follow this  
vadriver

autobrake low ...

a question mostly out of curiosity I guess.

in the as320cfm on approach (phase armed and in app mode about 2000'agl), I ask for autobrake low or med which is selected but with the reply "which runway is in use" (or similar).

it seems that if I don't respond with the runway in use that at about 1000'agl (well above the mda) & without any input from me, the fcu will reset to managed "s" speed & op clb commanding a climb to the higher missed approach altitude.

if I set autobrake myself or I reply to the "runway ...." question, all's well.

so, how important is it to reply ?

it's only since recently using the current mce that this has occurred !!

for now, cheers

john martin

Hello,

I tried to reproduce this in the Aerosoft Airbus 320 and failed!

My auto brake is set during the Landing Flow, to low, however if I remove that command from the flow and ask for "auto brake medium", FO just sets it.

I noticed he/she doesn't always ask which runway, but when he/she does, a null reply does not result in any deviation from the Cat 3 auto land.

So in my investigation a reply is not important!

Have you tried leaving the altitude set at the original ATC requested ILS capture, 3500 or 2500'? Does this always happen when you set the go around altitude?

Regards,

David

david

thanks for your notes & efforts.

most (close to all) of my approaches are RNAV rather then ILS ...so set MDA just before IF/IAF when cleared, them MAA as appropriate (normally about 2000' agl).

that said, I'm sure I'm asked for the runway 99% of the time & that there is this 1000' "lag" before the fcu resets, well after asking for the MAA.

i'll continue to "check" further, though do set autobrake myself now ..... sop for pf anyway.

for now, cheers

john martin

how important is it to reply ?

Only important if you expect the FO to handle ATC so he can make accurate transmissions like "landing runway two five left speedbird 1007". The request for runway is randomized and can happen either when you do something that triggers some FS event or when asking for autobrake or a couple of other items to be set.

.. when asking for autobrake or a couple of other items to be set.

gerald thanks

can you tell us the other items .... have only heard it with autobrake recently.

use PATC (with clive as well as the pnf) so shouldn't be an atc issue !!

for now, cheers

john martin

John, what happens if you request (or set) autobrake during approach, when your above the missed approach altitude?

E.g. on my approaching EGCC I am at 10,000' and 10 miles out. I request Approach Flow, which includes set airbrake medium. Then continue the approach down to the IAP and after attaining glide slope/loc blue, I lower gear, set flaps 3 and dial in the missed approach altitude of 5000', which is at Burni, depending on the STAR. Then do landing flow/landing checklist. Autobrake having been set earlier.

The above is just how I do it in the bus. I have no idea what's going on with your scenario? You need to have a conversation with that FO during the debrief! :-)

Regards,

David.

gerald thanks

can you tell us the other items .... have only heard it with autobrake recently.

use PATC (with clive as well as the pnf) so shouldn't be an atc issue !!

I already regret disclosing the first one as it would spoil the fun.

It is supposed to be random (not timer based).

You might even trigger it with manual handling of specific items. I mean without voice command.

See when FO Trav complains "let me do my job!" in this vid. That's because he worked out pilot was fiddling with flap lever manually, when Trav, who takes his job very seriously, thinks it is his duty to handle them. Invite FO on Cessna at your own risk  :LMAO:  :LMAO:  :LMAO: 

As I said, not essential for FO to know the runway in use, but when he asks just speak the runway. Example "twenty five left".

If he doesn't accept the value, it's more likely because that runway isn't valid for the departure airport (on ground) or destination airport, when airborne..

thanks Gerald & David

it's my mindset the FO / pnf / co-pilot would know the runway in use given it's his/her role to set the MCDU plan etc well before the IAF !!

on the other hand, I accept the need for it in MCE.

so, as before i'll continue to be alert for "the fun".

for now, cheers

john martin

it's my mindset the FO / pnf / co-pilot would know the runway in use given it's his/her role to set the MCDU plan etc well before the IAF !!

Your right John. But it's a handy feature in MCE for forgetful types (like me)...lol

You could also do a series of scripts with sounds like "it was twenty three right wasn't it" ....reply, "yes captain twenty three right", reply "twenty three"...then FO replies "twenty three" as usual. Some would say that's silly, but it demonstrates what's possible in MCE and adds to the fun factor, if your not into serious simming all the time:-)

Also of course, depending upon who you fly for and company protocols, the Captain would include that detail in his crew Landing Briefing...approach in use, wind and weather, runway in use, planned use of reversers, expected exit from runway, taxiway plan to gate, go around plan...etc.....

Your call:-)

Regards,

David