Sign in to follow this  
Cheeso

Force feedback in MSFS

My other hobby apart from MSFS is racing sims. My current favourite is rFactor from Image Space Incorporated.To gain the maximum I guess tactile experience at an affordable price, I bought the Logitech Driving Force Pro wheel and pedal set.To finally get to the point, does anyone here feel there would be an enhancement to the flying experience with the implementation of force feedback in a flight sim and if so what effects could be replicated?I know this has been discussed before, but I thought that in the run in to the next version of MSFS, and in the unlikely event that we were not at a feature set complete stage yet, it might be an avenue for the simming community to voice their opinions, not only to the MSFS teams but to the hardware providers as well.Cheers,Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern Australia

Errr, FYI, MSFS already supports FF natively and there is also 3rd party utility named FS Force.

Oh, thanks for that, I guess then we need to get companies like CH to incorporate it into the yokes etc.The things you learn on this board :-)Cheers,Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern Australia

I too am a big fan of racing sims (loving rfactor anf gtl BTW, and long time GPL fanatic).I used to use a MSFF2 for flight simming but now use a yoke. I miss the FF. You can feel things like turbulance and resistance on the stick you just don't get with a yoke. Problem is their is nothing like flying with a yoke.If they made a FF yoke I would be first in line to get one.XP Home SP2Asus P4P800-SE Intel 3.0GHZDDR 400 D/C 4x512MBLeadtek 6800GT 256MB (77.72)SB AudigyCH Products Yoke/Pedals USBSee you in the fence...CYYZ

>To finally get to the point, does anyone here feel there would>be an enhancement to the flying experience with the>implementation of force feedback in a flight sim and if so>what effects could be replicated?Chris,Volumes have been written on this subject. In short it is either software or hardware or both but the present FF is useless from the standpoint of realism in FS. It is ok if you want to play some military sims. Yes, if it could be done correctly it would be a big asset but absent such large scale effort any spring-loaded yoke is much more realistic.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_beta_member.jpg

Guest Ozark Dogfighter

I'll gladly trade my FF2 and my old FFPro for your yoke/pedal combo :D:-lol:-lol:-lol-Jeremy BurchThe Ozark Dogfighter http://forums.avsim.net/images/wedge.gifHappy Flying!Pilot: November 123 on a very short final, understand I'm cleared to land ?Tower: Oh, who's talking ?Pilot: Me

Well, I'm a happy customer of a product that brings tactile feedback in a very realistic way to FS9. Have a look at http://ivibe.com/ (have a look in the forum as well)Recently the ivibe module for FS9 has been released. It uses fsuipc to get data for tactile feedback. This ensures precise data for specific actions opposed to current 'generic' force feedback as we know it in flightsim. The modules can be configured to your own likings. I'm sure people will start posting their tweaked modules for their favorite planes during the coming weeks.As I

Regards,

Gerhard

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things" (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

I don't think this is what is meant by "realistic tactile feedback." Realistic tactile feedback in a joystick or yoke would provide realistic stick forces and response to trimming, etc., not just the bumps of a runway or turbulent weather. The stick forces would be different for every airplane, and would reflect the type of flight control system the airplane has (for example, reversible, powered, electronic, etc.).Don S.

helloI have been usinf FS Force from Dirks Software for a year now with a Saitek Evo force when i fly aircraft that use a stick.This module models trim forces correctly

Guest allcott

>hello>I have been usinf FS Force from Dirks Software for a year now>with a Saitek Evo force when i fly aircraft that use a stick.>This module models trim forces correctly>I agree its much better than default, but I still don't think it's as real as it gets. The whole FF thing probably needs to be much more sophisticated for FS, which is a complex thing to ask, without a frame rate hit and to satisfy the diversity of users. It would probably require a more sophisticated flight model, which in turn would rely on more sophisticated representation of control surfaces, and so on, until the complexity outweighs any benefit.I use MSFF2 and FSForce, AND a CH products yoke. The yoke is actually far better at conveying a sense of the aircraft than the force feedback stick. One exception is in the Cirrus SR20 where the `throw` of the sidestick is actually quite close to the range of movement of the joystick. That seems to be the key for me so maybe FF might just need a longer shaft on the joystick to be better and more realistic? But that would need a dedicated design - and we're back to the complexity issue again.Allcott

>I don't think this is what is meant by "realistic tactile>feedback." Realistic tactile feedback in a joystick or yoke>would provide realistic stick forces and response to trimming,>etc., not just the bumps of a runway or turbulent weather. >The stick forces would be different for every airplane, and>would reflect the type of flight control system the airplane>has (for example, reversible, powered, electronic, etc.).>>Don S.My mistake Don...It does seem that this brings one halfway as this offers tactile feedback on the aircraft 'state' either in the air or on the ground. (acceleration, deceleration, climbs, descends, banking, spins, stalls, etc)Now, as mentioned above, all we need is a yoke with the correct response to one's aircraft... :)Cheers,Gerhard

Regards,

Gerhard

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things" (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)