Sign in to follow this  
DFWFlightOps

Nav Rad VOR

I there a way to get Nav1 to tune a different VOR from Nav2 with out going manual?

Scott Redden

121 Ramp Ops, Aircraft Dispatcher, ASEL: C150, C172, PA28-160 

System: Intel I7-8700k @ 3.7Ghz, 16.0 GB, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Ti 

I there a way to get Nav1 to tune a different VOR from Nav2 with out going manual?

The whole point of AUTO is to not micromanage the automation. By overriding the automagic, you would be essentially going to manual control in some way or another.

For what reason are you trying to outsmart the automagic?

Full names in the forum, please - first and last.

Kyle Rodgers

Not really. The only way is going manual.

There is a way to inhibit the FMC from auto-tuning specific VOR/DME stations, but that's not what you're asking for.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

I remember a short discussion during beta why the 777 selects the same station on both nav radios.  Most would expect different stations for improved position accuracy but digging deeper we realized that the DME-DME selections were different stations and this is what the FMC uses.

Dan Downs KCRP

there are many reasons to manually tune stuff.

The Auto tune often does not tune a freq untill LNAV is already on an inbound course....if I want to see the inbound VOR course needle BEFORE intercepting this inbound course then I would need to manually tune this.

If you are cleared for an approach that you do not have in your database you can often use an overlay procedure. For example flying an NDB (not in database) you could use the ILS if it has the same inbound course (be carefull to also check the missed approach).

However, if this NDB requires a VORDME as well then you need to manually tune this as autotune would select the ILSDME.

If you are flying an LNAV departure and want to preselect a VORDME because your EO SID (Engine failure departure) is different and requires a turn at a certain distance then you would manually tune this VORDME before take off.

etc.

Rob Robson

there are many reasons to manually tune stuff.

Sure, but the OP wanted to inhibit the "autotuner" from selecting the same station on both receivers. Why would one want that? If you need a specific VOR tuned, then tune that one manually.

Another option nobody mentioned is going to the FIX page and selecting the desired VOR. This will show BRD/DST info towards that VOR without abandoning the "autotune" function of the FMC. You won't be tuning the VOR per se, but the information you will receive is essentially the same.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

ok...if he just wants two different VORs for the sake of having it...then I agree...no point in that.

I thought he had a reason similar to those I mentioned.

(Besides for tuning proper nav aids during approach, autoruning is used so the FMC can keep updating its RADIO position and compare it to IRS and GPS position. So I agree, no need to mess with that part of auto tuning.)

Rob Robson