Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Windows Update KB31777723

This windows update appears to be stopping my PC from booting properly when it is installed. I thought that I had stopped it from installing a few days ago, but nothing seems to be working. I have stopped automatic Windows 7 downloads and updates, but the OS starts installing it as soon as I shutdown the PC. I guess this is because KB31777723 is already stored on my hard disk?

So, my question is......where do I find this update? I want to remove it completely, so that Windows does not try to install it ever again!

On a side note, this is classed as an important update. When I checked it out, I discovered that it is because Egypt has permanently cancelled Daylight Saving Time!! Wow, not exactly the most Earth shatteringly important update there has ever been :huh:

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Probably easier to let it finish its install routine.  The update its self will not be recognisable within the Temp folder.  It will have a 20+ character designation in all probability.  Then uninstall it after you have rebooted.  Should be listed in Programs & Features if you click on "view installed updates"....top left hand corner. 

Keep an eye out for the KB****** when you go looking for Updates next time and un-tick the checkbox.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

I assume you mean that I should let it install when I am at the desktop screen? I have never actually done that in the past. I just let Windows updates install when the PC is shutting down.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi Chris normally  when i update   it  than ask me your pc needs  to be  restarted to make the  changes  etc if clicck yes  it  will than install some of  the update  than  shut  down  and  restart  again  to finish  the updates. This I what I do  al the time  so  don't  know  how  you do it.  

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Whatever the case may be, I need to identify the offending update, and remove it from my PC.....

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

You can get programs/tools to clear your update cache or do it manually though explorer and cmd. Alternatively you can reset Windows Update. Usual caveats about doing this at your own risk etc apply.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Wow, not exactly the most Earth shatteringly important update there has ever been

There are 82 million Egyptians, I would guess more than a few of them will find it important.

This is really starting to annoy me now. I have followed the instructions to empty the Windows update cache, but the updates are still there! I have just tried to shutdown normally, and Windows is trying to install that annoying update again!! How the hell do I get rid of this rubbish?? :huh:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Strange iam up to date with my updates  and  havnt  got  the  above   kb31777723

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I have now Windows 10, compilation 14.393.82, but I have not in my updates installed KB31777723.

João Alfredo

It is impossible to please Greeks and Trojans

É impossivel agradar Gregos e Troianos

I have this update installed, as of 17/08/16  and it is not causing any sort of problem with my Windows 7 installation, are you absolutely certain that it is this which is causing your boot problems.

David Deering