Sign in to follow this  
sidfadc

Considering the switch to P3D from FSX SE (with DX10 fixer)

Hi guys,

I currently use FSX SE with DX10 fixer, been simming since January 2015 and spent a small fortune on my setup.  There is one issue which bugs the hell out of me in FSX which I believe isn't an issue in P3D.  That is clouds conflicting with mountain tops causing the cloud to flicker really bad, very noticeable flying over the alps for example at say 30,000ft.  I like to fly in mountainous regions and this is an absolute immersion killer.  I've done countless Google searches, forum posts etc and each time I end up back at square one with a "that's an FSX design issue and can't be fixed".  I'm led to believe P3D uses volumetric clouds rather than sprites which means the clouds feather the top of mountains like in real life.  Anyway that's just one reason but I like the idea of switching to P3D to make better use of my hardware and of course its in continuous development unlike FSX.  My current specs are i7 4790k 4.0GHZ, GTX 970 and 16GB RAM. 

Whilst the flickering clouds really irritate me it's just the thought of installing everything again, seems like a bit of a chore.  I'm sure it's not all apple pie and ice cream in P3D and there are probably issues in P3D which aren't issues in FSX and vice versa. 

I'm confused about the conversion process, I understand the likes of PMDG and A2A will be a repurchase for the P3D version but my ORBX scenery/airports and other addons should be compatible?  I am also confused about the migration tool I've seen online, is this just used to force add-ons into P3D which don't have a dedicated P3D installer?  Lets say as a base start I wanted to install P3D, ORBX Global, Vector and LC, do I need the migration tool?  Or do I just download the latest installers from ORBX and away I go?

I'm rambling a bit now but I think I need a little push from you guys who have made the switch to finally convince me either way?  Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Thomas Derbyshire

What weather engine and cloud texture package are you using? These could go some way to alleviating the issue, I'm not sure P3D stops it altogether anyway (based on what I've read previously, not personal experience).

Orbx Global is P3D compatible out-the-box at no extra cost (as you rightly say, download the installers and away you go), I believe their airport scenery similarly is. The migration tool is pretty much as you described. But don't think of FSX-to-P3D as a conversion, its more a reinstallation (although some stuff will need repurchasing, fettling, be missing functionality or just plain won't work).

Personally I wouldn't switch at this point, especially as you're already using FSX:SE with DX10 fixer you have many of P3D's benefits. My reasoning is because we're approaching a major crossroads that I think will consolidate the fragmented platforms:

• P3D is starting to phase out legacy code that maintained backwards compatibility, a prime-example is FS2002/ASM/SCASM code which a lot of airport scenery still uses, will be going after P3D v3.3. That means a lot of scenery will need updating if it's to remain functional (of course you could opt to stay on v3.3).
  • We're on the cusp of going 64 bit, it's fairly likely both P3D v4 and DFS could be out within 18 months (this is pure speculation on my part), best to see which side the addon market and userbase goes.
  • It's possible that DFS will wipe out P3D in the consumer market (especially if it's out before P3Dx64) and thus you may have repurchased a lot of expensive aircraft addons for less than two years usage. DTG's Flight School has shown a lot of promise for DFS.

Of course, you may consider the switching costs and hassle worth just a couple of years benefit; there's no denying P3D has evolved significantly from FSX and benefited from much more time and resource investment than SE+DX10. But I don't send much time simming any more, so it was either jump ship at P3D v2.5/v3.1 release or sit tight and wait to see how things pan out with the 64-bit generation.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

If your PC can handle FSX it should also be able to handle P3D just as easily. That's just my personal experience with a few different PCs.

In contrast to the above, I say go for it. If you don't like it (you will), LM offer a 60 day refund as far as I'm aware. They also have a cheaper option of a monthly licence (although I don't know how this works exactly) and as far as I'm aware you can opt out any time if you're not happy. Yes, there are rumours that the next version of P3D will be 64bit and yes this will more than likely break compatibility with older addons but this is probably more than a year away. And even if and when they do release version 4 64bit, how many more years will we have to wait before all our addons will be updated to work on the new version? Plus we'll probably have to pay for them again anyway.

As for your current FSX addons, in my experiece most will work in P3D. Some you just need to reinstall, some you need to download again (for free) and a few (like PMDG products) you will have to pay for again, at a steeper price than their FSX counterpart. It's a bit of work setting it all up again and installing addons again, but well worth it in my opinion.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

Thanks guys I use AS16 + ASCA at the moment, prior to that I used ASN and before that I used the REX weather engine. On all 3 platforms I saw clouds conflicting with the mountains. Tried a million things to fix but the advice I have received is its an FSX design issue therefore unfixable.

Thomas Derbyshire

I made a trip the other day to SFO that took me over the coastal mountains with low undercast and the interaction between mountains and cloud looked perfect.  Using AS16+ASCA in P3Dv3.3.5

Dan Downs KCRP

Well, i moved to P3D back In April. Since then i have never (NEVER) turned FSX on. Even though at the beggening i didint have to much addons working for P3D (but i had my AS Airbus X working on new platform).

My FSX Acceleration + Steve's DX10 Fixer had been extremly stable (like full year with no single CTD). But I made a move as some key developers make separate licensing so i decided that it make more sense investing in the addons for a platform "with future".

The visual experiance is incredible even without various graphics enhancers.

Moreover, with v3.3.5 i have better performance than with FSX...! Or i can have same performance with more detailed graphics and/ or higher quality settings. The clouds in mountains look as real as it gets... I use my ASN which i used with FSX.

Kris

Another one just made the jump to p3d, cost a bit in buying upgrades to p3d versions and new versions. Very impressed with the policies of some companies, much less impressed with others, although when it comes down to it, it's my choice to buy or not. Overall though seems much, much, better than FSX though....

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

Hi guys,

I currently use FSX SE with DX10 fixer, been simming since January 2015 and spent a small fortune on my setup.  There is one issue which bugs the hell out of me in FSX which I believe isn't an issue in P3D.  That is clouds conflicting with mountain tops causing the cloud to flicker really bad, very noticeable flying over the alps for example at say 30,000ft.  I like to fly in mountainous regions and this is an absolute immersion killer.  I've done countless Google searches, forum posts etc and each time I end up back at square one with a "that's an FSX design issue and can't be fixed".  I'm led to believe P3D uses volumetric clouds rather than sprites which means the clouds feather the top of mountains like in real life.  Anyway that's just one reason but I like the idea of switching to P3D to make better use of my hardware and of course its in continuous development unlike FSX.  My current specs are i7 4790k 4.0GHZ, GTX 970 and 16GB RAM. 

Whilst the flickering clouds really irritate me it's just the thought of installing everything again, seems like a bit of a chore.  I'm sure it's not all apple pie and ice cream in P3D and there are probably issues in P3D which aren't issues in FSX and vice versa. 

I'm confused about the conversion process, I understand the likes of PMDG and A2A will be a repurchase for the P3D version but my ORBX scenery/airports and other addons should be compatible?  I am also confused about the migration tool I've seen online, is this just used to force add-ons into P3D which don't have a dedicated P3D installer?  Lets say as a base start I wanted to install P3D, ORBX Global, Vector and LC, do I need the migration tool?  Or do I just download the latest installers from ORBX and away I go?

I'm rambling a bit now but I think I need a little push from you guys who have made the switch to finally convince me either way?  Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Best thing you can do is to move on to P3D. The level of realism and graphics quality and shadows, you'll notice, will improve a lot, and will show you that FSX or FSX:SE are beasts of the past. Before I moved to P3D I used to fly heavy metal at high altitudes in IFR, and now, almost two years from my move, I almost 100% fly with props, GA aircraft at low altitudes, VFR, to see the scenery instead of the instruments. I will recommend you also to stay away from those tools like the migration tool, you'll discover there are safer ways to install your addons that do not have specific installers for your version of P3D. Look at the videos on Youtube, there're a lot, to discover how to install addons without using those tools that will "contaminate" your setup.

Good luck and go ahead. Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I just made the switch myself.  So far the benefits PHYSICALLY are awesome.  The benefits FINANCIALLY ... that;s another story.  PMDG, Acive Sky and a few others give absolutely no discounts for changing platforms, so if I want my 777 and 737 into P3D ... another $200, and i already snagged the P3D version of AS16 for full price there as well.  I now have a VERY elevated appreciation for developers like Majestic and Aerosoft that let you install into both platforms for one price or even a discounted upgrade price.

The real question is .. is it worth all that?  After my experience over the past week, the answer is YES.  Due to budget, I'll be without PMDG for a while, but I am slowly purchasing upgrades from other cheaper add-ons to get them into P3D v3 and I have been VERY impressed with the performance thus far.  And my photo scenery ... no blurries, no popping.  Oh that made it all worth it right there :)

TL:DL=YES, it IS worth it.

I just made the switch myself.  So far the benefits PHYSICALLY are awesome.  The benefits FINANCIALLY ... that;s another story.  PMDG, Acive Sky and a few others give absolutely no discounts for changing platforms, so if I want my 777 and 737 into P3D ... another $200, and i already snagged the P3D version of AS16 for full price there as well.  I now have a VERY elevated appreciation for developers like Majestic and Aerosoft that let you install into both platforms for one price or even a discounted upgrade price.

Erm Active Sky gives you a discount if you have any other version, from ASA to AS16 FSX....

G

Erm Active Sky gives you a discount if you have any other version, from ASA to AS16 FSX....

G

Only true for older versions.  I contacted them and verified that AS16 FSX does not qualify for discount for AS16 P3D.  However if you have ASN, or any of the other older products then yes, you do indeed qualify for the discount.  Because i never owned AS before I got AS16 for FSX, I did not qualify for the discount.

Only true for older versions.  I contacted them and verified that AS16 FSX does not qualify for discount for AS16 P3D.  However if you have ASN, or any of the other older products then yes, you do indeed qualify for the discount.  Because i never owned AS before I got AS16 for FSX, I did not qualify for the discount.

Direct from their website:

If your original product re-seller is not listed below, FSPilotShop and The Flight Sim Store offer universal upgrades and you can obtain discount pricing from them. Please note that AS16 for FSX and AS16 for P3D are separately licensed and sold. You can also receive upgrade pricing for cross-platform usage (for example, AS16 for FSX Full license will make you eligible for AS16 for P3D Upgrade). Visit your re-seller for details.

That said before you go in to the upgrade section it doesn't mention AS16FSX, but neither does it mention ASA - which is what I upgraded from! So unless it has changed since you purchased it, they really need to change their website !!

G

Well I just purchased it Friday, so yeah. I bought both AS16 products through the same place http://www.fspilotshop.com/ ... I have to run real quick to the real world airport as I have a flight, but I'll be back in a few hours and Ill contact them again. Maybe they were confused before in what I was asking.

BUT ... to keep from hijacking this thread (sorry about that) ... Upgrade to P3D? yes, worth it in my opinion. After that you'll need to decide for yourself the value of products you might have that do not provide discounts. So far it looks liek there is confusion on AS16. I'll respond back here with an answer for that if I get hold of them. PMDG, however, not a penny for discount. Upcoming products are, however, promising a discount, such as the FSL A320. others like Aerosoft, carenado, Majestic, etc give both platforms for one price. i wish they all did that.

Thanks guys, still on the fence I think.  Think I might hold off until Dovetail 64bit flight sim comes out or even wait for P3D 64 bit.  I've invested so much time and energy into FSX with DX10 fixer, right now its maybe not wise to spend a ton of cash on another simulator right now.

• Upvote 1

Thomas Derbyshire

There is one issue which bugs the hell out of me in FSX which I believe isn't an issue in P3D. That is clouds conflicting with mountain tops causing the cloud to flicker really bad,

The clouds and fog layer still flicker against mountain tops in P3D, not only that but terrain shadows  can also flicker and look odd at certain angles.

It is still a better looking Sim than FSX + DX10 fixer in all aspects other than the water though.

• Upvote 1