Sign in to follow this  
sidfadc

Considering the switch to P3D from FSX SE (with DX10 fixer)

Thanks guys, still on the fence I think. Think I mibugght hold off until Dovetail 64bit flight sim comes out or even wait for P3D 64 bit. I've invested so much time and energy into FSX with DX10 fixer, right now its maybe not wise to spend a ton of cash on another simulator right now.

Not sure P3D is even considering a 64 bit. I mentioned that idea a couple of times in the past on their forums and their reply was pretty adamant against 64 bit. The reasoning is p3d isn't considered entertainment and is for academic use. They don't care and are passive about developers making stuff for their platform but their aim is simulation, not gaming.

Best to pounce on Dovetail when it comes out. That and Dovetail have made it clear they want their new simulator to be as mod friendly as possible. I'm excited for it's release.

As I understood it, the OP was talking about transferring his addons to P3D. People are talking about changing from ASN to AS2016. I don't think that's what he's asking about. If he has ASN for FSX, he can download the P3D version of ASN at no extra cost.

Am I missing something?

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

Nope. We just digressed a bit in the convo though it's still related to getting addons over to p3d. The main point was that not everything will transfer over right away without additional cost.

Edit ... loved how my phone corrected convo to concorde. Lol

• Upvote 1

If he has asn for fsx he also gets a discount for as16 for p3d. Discount is cross platform.

I'm few days after making the change and honestly - it was a good decision. P3d is a completely different animal when it comes to settings management (for me best set up of fps is 30 locked externally and unlimited internally which is something that didn't work in my case in FSX - just an example). Terrain is more realistic thanks to cloud shadows. Vas management way better. All of eye candy stuff is fantastic. Full recommendation although prepare for lot of tweaking (fortunately in settings not cfg) to find best and consistent fps.

I currently use FSX SE with DX10 fixer, been simming since January 2015 and spent a small fortune on my setup.  There is one issue which bugs the hell out of me in FSX which I believe isn't an issue in P3D.  That is clouds conflicting with mountain tops causing the cloud to flicker really bad, very noticeable flying over the alps for example at say 30,000ft.  I like to fly in mountainous regions and this is an absolute immersion killer.  I've done countless Google searches, forum posts etc and each time I end up back at square one with a "that's an FSX design issue and can't be fixed". 

You can try this fix, not sure that will solve mountain flickering, but i didn't noticed any cloud flickering for a long time: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?1308-Fix-for-flashing-clouds

Thanks zeljiko but that is a different issue and doesnt resolve the clouds clashing with mountain tops causing a flicker. That fix is automatically setup by active sky as well but like I said doesnt reaolve my issue. I just thought P3D was exempt from this because it uses volumetric clouds instead of sprites in FSX.

Thomas Derbyshire

If he has ASN for FSX, he can download the P3D version of ASN at no extra cost.

Anyone know if this holds true with the steam version of ASN?

spacer.png

Anyone know if this holds true with the steam version of ASN?

Well there is only one version of ASN for FSX as far as I know. And the same version is used for both Steam and non-Steam versions. So I don't see why it wouldn't hold true.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough