Sign in to follow this  
gavin boothroyd1

PMDG 777 strange display textures and nigh tlighting textures

Hello folks,

my first post on this forum as I am new to the pmdg 777. A great product so in depth and I am learning a lot! A big thanks to all of you that help create this wonderful addon. However I do have a question hence the title I am experiencing some strange textures on the display and when In a night environnement in the cockpit of the PMDG 777 and when I turn on MCP lighting or inboard lights the textures cover the cockpit panels them self...( If I zoom move really close to the displays or panels the textures somewhat disapear it really depends on perspective) Now I believe I have seen this in some videos and its not very smooth looking. I have tried working my way around it by darkening my screen using s/a on my Asus monitor ( scenery mode is dark and at night it washes the textures out but at in day time scenery mode is a little to dark. Could this be my graphics card ( GTX 960 ) Something I can change fairly easily? 

NOTE: You will want to download the pictures from this Photobucket gallery I have put together, you need to see the images in full screen to notice the textures as I would In Flightsim.

[/url]">http://http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/garb12/media/20160731120435_1_zpsqyivufi4.jpg.html'>20160731120435_1_zpsqyivufi4.jpg

Thanks in advance

Gavin Boothroyd

Welcome to the forum Gavin. I am fairly sure what you are seeing is a moire pattern (see Wiki article here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moir%C3%A9_pattern

It is not your graphics card but a higher resolution monitor decreases the effect. I have forgotten about this since I've not seen it since investing a a higher resolution monitor myself. It should only appear in certain lighting and zoom conditions.

Dan Downs KCRP

There is some stuff you can do. 

1) As Dan said, you can look at a higher resolution monitor. As for the one you have, tinker around with all of its settings if you haven't already. I learned that FSX pretty much blows at night, so there is only so much you can do.

2) Nvidia Inspector. Take a look at Ryan's pinned thread on the general forum. It's dated and has been ongoing for years. The settings are probably somewhat unreliable today as Inspector has been upgraded. Regardless, Ryan's post is a great source for teaching you about the ins and outs of graphics card operations. 

3) Google inspector / fsx / pmdg / 777 etc. You will find good screenshots for settings to try. Bottom line: you will have to read this to LEARN how to use Inspector. Ultimately, everyone's machine is somewhat different. You just have to trial and error to figure out what works best (balancing with performance).

4) Search the forums, pretty sure Kyle posted a few helpful things on this topic. This is not the first time it's been raised. In fact, I may have started a thread on this same thing years ago. 

Ultimately, like Dan said, you will hit a limit. For example, you will eventually see the crazy display effects when you keep zooming out. 

For example, you will eventually see the crazy display effects when you keep zooming out. 

Yep. Zoom levels can cause all kinds of havoc for a number of items, moire patterns included.

Kyle Rodgers