Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

Should i buy this FSD bird?

Guest flight78

Hey ! thinking about buying FSD internationls Piaggio P 180 Avanti .Is it worth it??.Anyone that has it it that can tell me what they think?. Most important to me is flight dynamics so how are the flight dynamics?.Thx.Best regards:Alexander

I don't know if any of us have flown a real P180 and are qualified to answer regarding Flight Dynamics. For me, the FSD P180 fit a niche that no other payware aircraft could, and although I haven't used it recently, it's still a great aircraft. The FDE seems as slippery as the real thing, at least according to a pirep I read once on the Avanti. Anyway, it's a unique aircraft for payware and I'm one who finds the real Avanti beautiful. I'd buy it again if faced with that decision.-John

Guest MattNW

I have it and it's a nice airplane as most FSD aircraft are. As for flight dynamics I can't attest to the reality of it but it's not bad from a feel standpoint. I've seen better (not many) and worse (lot more of those). You have to get your approach speeds right on the button or she'll sink or float with you. The 3D model is fantastic and the virtual cabin is also. VC textures could be better but you'll pay for that in FPS. Overall it's a nice balance of features, looks and performance. I'd give it an A- with an A+ being "perfect wouldn't change a thing and F being "wouldn't touch it with a 10 terra byte HD".:D

For whatever reason I have flown this aircraft less than probably any other payware airplane that I have (and unfortunately for my wallet, I own too many). The panel was mildly disappointing for some reason... I haven't fired it up in ages so I don't remember the details.I have the FSD Panther and Commander as well - although I don't fly them anymore, those are good airplanes - I put a lot of time into the Commander back in FS2002 days. I can't quite put my finger on why the Piaggio has not gotten rolled out of my virtual hangar more.---I have whined about this before, but if any given airplane doesn't work well with my FS hardware, it's probably not going to get flown a lot. I recall having some issues with the Panther and my GoFlight/PFC stuff, where I couldn't turn this or that knob or press this or that switch with my toys. I don't have the time or inclination to fire up the Piaggio to determine if this was my issue with it as well, but I suspect it was. I know I'm in the minority in having all of these nice hardware bits, but in my world I need to be able to control all or at worst almost all FS aircraft panel controls without having to resort to the @!$%%# mouse. And I'll take any opportunity to whine about it 8^) .---Note that I greatly respect the products of FSD, as I do those of several other vendors. I just feel compelled to opine that the Piaggio is, um, less compelling than others that I own. FWIW 90% of my time over the last couple four months has been in either the F1 441 Conquest or the F1 Pilatus PC-12, and more recently (especially since the patch that was released very recently) the ESDG Cirrus SR20 since that is the airplane that I have the most real-world time in over the last couple years. Strictly compared to the Piaggio, I would call the 441 a very worthy alternative.Dave Blevins

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

Guest flight78

OK thx alot guys for ur help ! :). I think i will wait as iam not convinced. But thx guys for ur insights !:).Best regards.Alexander

I don't fly it a lot either but that's more because I've no real need for an aircraft in this class at the moment (my interests for now are elsewhere) than because I don't like it.I'll probably take it out again to get some practice in in time for next year's RTW race, we need that trophy back :)

1) Ils landings rarely work. Upon capture of glideslope (even at correct speeds), the plane dives to the ground.2) Some time ago, FSD promised to make their load manager compatible with the updated versions of the Reality xp gauges. AFAIK that never happened. ricardo

Guest aca_dia

>1) Ils landings rarely work. Upon capture of glideslope (even at correct speeds), the plane dives to the ground.You have controler issues. I cant reproduce this with either the AP or when hand flying and I have never heard anyone else with the issue.>2) Some time ago, FSD promised to make their load manager compatible with the updated versions of the Reality xp gauges. AFAIK that never happened.I am using current versions of RXP stuff with zero issues.

I have no "controller issues," and the ILS problem has been reported here and on their board. ricardo

I've never had or seen this ILS problem. But I've only flown the aircraft about 300 hours and about 200 ILS landing.Even my "crash" at London City on the 5% glide slope in the RTW race was my fault, not the aircraft or aircraft systems. I just didn't pay attention to what should have been a warning about real world weather. The aircraft has since performed about 10 ILS landings at London City flawlessly.But I also find it easy to trim and hand fly an ILS or visual approach.I find the aircraft works best on approach with about 5-8 more kts speed than the minimums.The only thing I know about the flight dynamics compared to the real world is that the aircraft is very "slippery". It doesn't have much aerodynamic drag for it's size. The real world pilot discussion in one of the aviation magazines a year or so ago and my three conversations with real P-180 pilots all mention the aircraft can accelerate very quickly on descent.Surprisingly the P-180 isn't a terribly good "short" flight aircraft - 300 miles or less. It is a fuel hog at low altitude - really needing to be up at FL300 or better and zipping along about 350-380 KTAS.It's not a terribly "nimble" aircraft in my opinion. It needs to be flown like a much larger plane.Re: The panel - the real P-180 (and I got to look at a real one a couple weeks ago) has a 1990 era panel.Due to the low numbers of aircraft in the world, it hasn't been worth the costs to update and install a glass cockpit. It's a pretty sharp jolt to see an aircraft which looks like it came from the 22nd century with a largely analog panel.The P-180 is a 20 year old design and construction technique.PS: I also fly and like the Flight 1 Cessna 441 - one of the best tutorial flights ever written for FS in my opinion.