Sign in to follow this  
Luis Hernandez

Real Trim in Windows 10 and FSX-SE... anybody can do it?

After upgrading my laptop to Win10 and a SSD, I decided to give FSX-SE another try, applying NickN's Bible from the start (FSX-MS is not an option, since I removed the DVD drive). However, when I tried installing Real Trim (https://github.com/nmeier/fscode/wiki/Realtrim), I find it's not available in the Add-ons menu. FSUIPC shows no issue at all.

Has anybody been able to run Real Trim in Windows 10 and FSX-SE? For reference, Steam is installed in C:\Steam, where C:\ is the SSD.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

After upgrading my laptop to Win10 and a SSD, I decided to give FSX-SE another try, applying NickN's Bible from the start (FSX-MS is not an option, since I removed the DVD drive). However, when I tried installing Real Trim (https://github.com/nmeier/fscode/wiki/Realtrim), I find it's not available in the Add-ons menu. FSUIPC shows no issue at all.

Has anybody been able to run Real Trim in Windows 10 and FSX-SE? For reference, Steam is installed in C:\Steam, where C:\ is the SSD.

Yes, I have both FSX and FSX-SE installed on a Win10 system and RealTrim works in both sims. Did you check that the RealTrim entry is in the dll.xml file?

Al

Thanks, Al. This is what I entered in the dll.xml file:

<Launch.Addon>
    <Name>RealTrim</Name>
    <Disabled>False</Disabled>
    <Path>Modules\realtrim.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
Obviously, the dll was installed inside the FSX\Modules folder.

Best regards,

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Luis,

Below are part of the instructions with RealTrim19x. It is important to run the different SimConnect files:

For FSX Steam Edition:

Install all simconnect libraries simconnect.msi (1 current, 3 legacy) from

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces (FSX-RTM, FSX-SP1, FSX-XPACK)
     C:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LIB

Copy realtrim.dll into the module-directory of your Steam Flight Simulator installation

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX

You might have to have administrator rights to do so.

Then open this file in a text editor (e.g. notepad)

Windows XP    : C:\Documents and Settings\[your username]\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\dll.xml
  Windows Vista : C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\dll.xml

and add the following lines before the last line like so

<Launch.Addon>
        <Name>RealTrim</Name>
        <Disabled>False</Disabled>
        <Path>.\modules\realtrim.dll</Path>
        <Commandline/>
    </Launch.Addon>
   </SimBase.Document>

I also have the following realtrim.ini file setup in the modules folder:

[realtrim]
TrimButton=0100
Enable=1
Logging=1
timer=1

Of course, your TrimButton might be different.

When you ran FSX-SE, did it ask you if you wanted to run and trust the realtrim.dll? If you already have a line in the fsx_se.cfg trusting realtrim from a previous install, you may want to delete it to see if FSX_SE asks again.

If none of this helps, as a last resort if you PM me an email address I will be glad to send you a copy of the realtrim.dll that I am using.

Al

All, it didn't work. You have a PM.

Best regards,

Nothing... I uninstalled and then reinstalled each SimConnect as admin (via cmd, opened as admin), without any results :sad:

Best regards,

Luis,

After installing the different versions of SimConnect you could try deleting the RealTrim line from the [Trusted] section in fsx.cfg again to see if FSX-SE detects the RealTrim dll and asks if you want to trust it.  That's about the last idea I have at this point other than to make sure your drivers and utility programs are up to date as far as Win10 is concerned. You could take a look at the Device Manager in Control Panel to see if there are any error flags.

After upgrading to Win10 I was getting fatal errors with FSX (but not FSX-SE) if I tried to switch aircraft after loading a flight. The problem turned out to be a utility program from the motherboard manufacturer that ran at startup and needed to be updated for Win10. Why it was a problem for FSX but not FSX-SE remains a Win10 mystery.

Al