Sign in to follow this  

Flight Planning software

Guest Debosonic

I used the FSCommander demo for a while and then following various suggestions from reviews and user comments, in the end went and purchased FSBuild. Now I feel that i rushed it a bit. Please give me your honest opinions, dear simmers, did I make the right choice? FSBuild seems a bit lacking visually but it sure is powerful. FSCommander on the other hand has a great map and displays all features, but still needs a registered FSUIPC...I appreciate your comments.

For IFR planning, nothing beats FSBuild.For VFR, I'm still looking for something to replace Nav 3.0 (which works but the database can't be updated to the FS2004 dataset).

I'll be happy to share my opinion. I think that FS Build ( I use the pro version) is an outstanding Flight Planner; I use it to plan all my flights, then export the results to FSNav, FS9, Radar Contact, and ACS-GPS98.If your priority is a moving map, then I think that FSNAvigator is the way to go there; If, in fact, what you want to do is to use a GPS that you can easily keep open all of the time then Alain Captain's ACSGPS-98 is the way to go.FS Build will export to all of these which is one of it's best features.Hope that's of some use to you,Best Regards,Ed GreenKCLThttp://www.panelshop.com/DEV.jpg

HelloHave a look at Airplan Sim Edition from razors edge, there is a review on avsim.Best flight planner i have seen for VFR work, with shaded terrain and rivers, roads ect.You can even load sectionals as the background, it also functions as a moving map.http://www.razorsedgesoft.com/airplan/index.htm

cheers, have that bookmarked for later when the money comes in again ;)

Guest ThrottleUp

Interesting thread!I have a question for you all: Is it possible to create "personal" (custom) GPS-waypoints in any of the above-mentioned software?Im looking for a program that will display a map and will let me use the mouse to drag new waypoints wherever I please - something the military sims have had for a long time. I would like these new waypoints to be read by the default FS9 GPS.I have been told that you can create your own waypoints in the sim already but have not tried it yet. But even if Im sucessful in that I would like 3rd party software that can display the map fullscreen instead of an atom-sized window like in the sim :(Would most appreciate feeback :)

The current issue of "PC Pilot" features and in-depth review of all popular flight planners. I tested all of them.The winner for flying GA is Voyager (seattleavionics.com) - hands down. With a price tag of $75 with the PC Pilot discount, it is quite expensive, but I am seriously impressed by the demo. The is nothing lacking with the program at all. For the price you'll get a complete subscription to download real weather and (hear, hear) ALL actual plates and charts. Unfortunately, it covers only the US.The winner for all jets and non-US flying is Flight Operations Center (danur.com) and FS Build (fsbuild.com). Flight Operations Center is the most comprehensive, but also a tad expensive with EUR 49.FSBuild is not really visually appealing, but it does an excellent job inter-connecting with a ton of 3rd party programs.Hope this helps.

while i fly mostly in europe i always use a tool called EUroute2004. It has all the features i need including actual weather on departing and arrival airport, export the flight plan into FS2004 GPS format and much much more. The idea behind this tool is to provide actual and predefined routes for flightsimmers. For more informations see this link: http://www.euroutepro.com/euroute_module.htm . BTW its free and only needs registration for the online routes-database.cheers,Ron

Guest ThrottleUp

normada- Wow thanks for that link! Looks very cool, Im gonna check it out right now :)

>I have a question for you all: Is it possible to create>"personal" (custom) GPS-waypoints in any of the>above-mentioned software?>In FSBuild, go into PM mode (plan manual...), rightclick at the point you want to insert a custom waypoint, and you'll get a context menu allowing just that.>Im looking for a program that will display a map and will let>me use the mouse to drag new waypoints wherever I please ->something the military sims have had for a long time. I would>like these new waypoints to be read by the default FS9 GPS.>Not drag, but point and click. FSB will adjust the route to accomodate the waypoint and redraw it to fit.

Voyager is a realworld planner isn't it? $75 is pretty cheap if it is. Jeppessen's products start at about $200 as I recall.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Yes, Voyager is also a real-world planner. I downloaded the trial version after reading the review in PC Pilot and I was VERY impressed, especially with the automatic download and generation of a "Plate Pack" for your route with all the latest airport and approach Charts, including SID/STAR.